Empirical approach to the sequential relationships between firm strategy, export activity, and performance in U.S. manufacturing firms
AbstractThis paper empirically examines the sequential relationships between the firm's strategic factors, export actvity, and performance in US manufacturing firms. The main question addressed in this paper relates to how the firm's key strategic factors such as diversification in product and market, firm size, R&D intensity, and capital intensity influence export activity, and further how the export activity is finally linked to the firm's economic performance with respect to diverse dimensions of performance. The results in a sequential model show that (1) product diversification, R&D intensity, and firm size significantly affect the firm's export activity, (2) export intensity, stemming from the company's key strategic components of business activity, was positively and uniformly related to all aspects of the firm's economic performance, and (3) export activity moderates the relationships between organization's strategic factors and firm performance. Although market diversification does not directly affect exporting, it does, however, sequentially influence firm performance with respect to market-based performance. This study contributes to a new strategic implication of export activity and performance linkage in business and economic research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 13 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Abdulnasser Hatemi-J & Manuchehr Irandoust, 2001. "Productivity Performance and Export Performance: A Time-Series Perspective," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 27(2), pages 149-164, Spring.
- Barbara El-Osta & Craig R. MacPhee & David I. Rosenbaum, 1996. "International Trade, Foreign Direct Investment, and Domestic Market Performance," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 22(1), pages 63-74, Winter.
- Caves, Richard E., 1985. "International trade and industrial organization: Problems, solved and unsolved," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 377-395, August.
- Jacquemin, Alexis P & Berry, Charles H, 1979. "Entropy Measure of Diversification and Corporate Growth," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(4), pages 359-69, June.
- Czinkota, Michael R. & Ursic, Michael, 1991. "Classification of exporting firms according to sales and growth into a share matrix," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 243-253, May.
- Naidu, G. M. & Prasad, V. Kanti, 1994. "Predictors of export strategy and performance of small- and medium-sized firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(2-3), pages 107-115.
- Samiee, Saeed & Walters, Peter G. P., 1990. "Influence of firm size on export planning and performance," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 235-248, May.
- Caves, Richard E, 1981. "Intra-Industry Trade and Market Structure in the Industrial Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(2), pages 203-23, July.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 1984. "Testing trade theories and predicting trade flows," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 10, pages 467-517 Elsevier.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi, 1992. "On the Relationship Between Firm Size and Export Intensity," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(4), pages 605-635, December.
- Leonidas C Leonidou & Constatine S Katsikeas, 1996. "The Export Development Process: An Integrative Review of Empirical Models," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 27(3), pages 517-551, September.
- Culpan, Refik, 1989. "Export behavior of firms: Relevance of firm size," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 207-218, May.
- Robert G Cooper & Elko J Kleinschmidt, 1985. "The Impact of Export Strategy on Export Sales Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(1), pages 37-55, March.
- Kee H. Chung & Stephen W. Pruitt, 1994. "A Simple Approximation of Tobin's q," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 23(3), Fall.
- Singh, Deeksha A., 2009. "Export performance of emerging market firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 321-330, August.
- Rosenbusch, Nina & Brinckmann, Jan & Bausch, Andreas, 2011. "Is innovation always beneficial? A meta-analysis of the relationship between innovation and performance in SMEs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 441-457, July.
- Rugman, Alan M. & Oh, Chang Hoon, 2010. "Does the regional nature of multinationals affect the multinationality and performance relationship?," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 479-488, October.
- Pablo A. Garcia‐Fuentes & Gustavo F. C. Ferreira & P. Lynn Kennedy, 2013.
"Economic Performance of U.S. Multinational Agribusinesses: Foreign Direct Investment and Firm Strategy,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 29(2), pages 242-255, 03.
- Garcia-Fuentes, Pablo A. & Ferreira, Gustavo F.C. & Kennedy, P. Lynn, 2012. "Economic Performance of U.S. Multinational Agribusinesses: Foreign Direct Investment and Firm Strategy," 2012 Annual Meeting, February 4-7, 2012, Birmingham, Alabama 119763, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Love, James H. & Mansury, Mica Ariana, 2009. "Exporting and productivity in business services: Evidence from the United States," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(6), pages 630-642, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.