International Trade, Foreign Direct Investment, and Domestic Market Performance
AbstractWe develop a model to estimate simultaneously import shares, export shares, outward foreign direct investment and domestic profits for a large sample of U.S. manufacturing industries. In our model, trade barriers alter the ability of domestic market structure to influence domestic performance. The results indicate that trade flows behave as expected in response to factor intensity. Profits are disciplined by imports and enhanced by exports. Concentration reduces both import and export shares but economies of scale increase them. Exports are complements rather than substitutes for foreign direct investment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Eastern Economic Association in its journal Eastern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 22 (1996)
Issue (Month): 1 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: c/o Dr. Alexandre Olbrecht, The Anisfield School of Business 205, Ramapo College, 505 Ramapo Valley Road, Ramapo, New Jersey 07430, USA
Phone: (201) 684-7346
Web page: http://www.ramapo.edu/eea/journal.html
More information through EDIRC
Concentration; Exports; Foreign Direct Investment; Import; International Trade; Market Performance; Market Structure; Trade;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marvel, Howard P, 1980. "Foreign Trade and Domestic Competition," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(1), pages 103-22, January.
- de Ghellinck, Elisabeth & Geroski, Paul A & Jacquemin, Alexis, 1988. "Inter-industry Variations in the Effect of Trade on Industry Performance," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(1), pages 1-19, September.
- Carter, Colin A. & Yilmaz, Alper, 1999. "Foreign Direct Investment (Fdi) And Trade - Substitutes And Complements? An Application To The Processed Food Industry," 1999 Annual meeting, August 8-11, Nashville, TN 21665, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Lee, Jooh & Habte-Giorgis, Berhe, 2004. "Empirical approach to the sequential relationships between firm strategy, export activity, and performance in U.S. manufacturing firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 101-129, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson, College of the Holy Cross).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.