Export stimuli: Export intention compared with export activity
AbstractWith the increasing globalization of markets and their interdependencies, small and medium sized domestic firms have witnessed their relative sanctuary from foreign competitors being eroded. This study is founded upon the premise that a significant degree of dormant export potential exists in firms of such size and the particular interests of the research centre upon preexport behaviour and decision making. An attempt is made to investigate those elements that play an influential role in stimulating domestic firms' intention to engage in export activities, based upon the notion that firms exhibiting a strong intention to export will be those most likely to proceed successfully to export initiation and development. Specifically, the objectives of the study concern: the identification of potentially significant differences in export stimuli between groups of non-exporting firms considered in terms of degree of export intention; and, a comparison of export stimuli between groups of non-exporting firms and those currently engaged in export activities. Several significant findings are reported and their implications for executive and public policy audiences highlighted, along with suggested future research opportunities and the limitations of the study.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 6 (1997)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leonidou, Leonidas C., 1995. "Export stimulation research: Review, evaluation and integration," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 133-156, June.
- Belich, Thomas J. & Dubinsky, Alan J., 1995. "Factors related to information acquisition in exporting organizations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-11, May.
- Warren J Bilkey, 1978. "An Attempted Integration of the Literature on the Export Behavior of Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 33-46, March.
- Geir Gripsrud, 1990. "The Determinants of Export Decisions and Attitudes to a Distant Market: Norwegian Fishery Exports to Japan," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(3), pages 469-485, September.
- Finn Wiedersheim-Paul & Hans C Olson & Lawrence S Welch, 1978. "Pre-Export Activity: The First step in Internationalization," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 47-58, March.
- Warren J Bilkey & George Tesar, 1977. "The Export Behavior of Smaller-Sized Wisconsin Manufacturing Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 8(1), pages 93-98, March.
- Erwin Dichtl & Hans-Georg Koeglmayr & Stefan Mueller, 1990. "International Orientation as a Precondition for Export Success," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 23-40, March.
- Stan D Reid, 1981. "The Decision-Maker and Export Entry and Expansion," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 12(2), pages 101-112, June.
- Ramaseshan, B. & Soutar, Geoffrey N., 1996. "Combined effects of incentives and barriers on firms' export decisions," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 53-65, February.
- Swinyard, William R, 1993. " The Effects of Mood, Involvement, and Quality of Store Experience on Shopping Intentions," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(2), pages 271-80, September.
- Jean-Emile Denis & Daniel Depelteau, 1985. "Market Knowledge, Diversification and Export Expansion," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(3), pages 77-89, September.
- Andersen, Otto & Rynning, Marjo-Riitta, 1994. "Prediction of export intentions -- managing with structural characteristics?," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 17-27, March.
- Naidu, G. M. & Prasad, V. Kanti, 1994. "Predictors of export strategy and performance of small- and medium-sized firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(2-3), pages 107-115.
- Tan, Alvin & Brewer, Paul & Liesch, Peter W., 2007. "Before the first export decision: Internationalisation readiness in the pre-export phase," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 294-309, June.
- Stoian, Maria-Cristina & Rialp, Alex & Rialp, Josep, 2011. "Export performance under the microscope: A glance through Spanish lenses," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 117-135, April.
- Tzokas, Nikolaos & Hart, Susan & Argouslidis, Paris & Saren, Michael, 2000. "Strategic pricing in export markets: empirical evidence from the UK," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 95-117, February.
- Acedo, Francisco J. & Jones, Marian V., 2007. "Speed of internationalization and entrepreneurial cognition: Insights and a comparison between international new ventures, exporters and domestic firms," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 236-252, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.