Obstacles to export initiation and expansion
AbstractThe increasing globalization of markets witnessed in recent years has been paralleled by growing research attention upon the internationalization of small and medium sized firms. In industrialized nations, a significant degree of dormant export potential has been identified in this firm size sector. The proliferation of extant literature can explain structural, behavioural and process-based aspects of export expansion. However, it remains that limited conceptual and empirical insights exist that explain the phenomena underlying pre-export decision making and behaviour. The present inquiry addresses this issue and investigates those obstacles that act upon domestic firms' intentions to enter overseas markets via the export channel. Specifically, the empirical study documented here establishes significant differences in the extent to which exporting obstacles discourage export engagement amongst varied groups of domestic firms considered in terms of their export intention. It also draws a similar comparison between such groups of non-exporting firms and those already engaged in export operations. The findings are interpreted and discussed in the light of current knowledge and attention is paid towards pertinent implications for export management and future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 25 (1997)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Masaaki Kotabe & Michael R Czinkota, 1992. "State Government Promotion of Manufacturing Exports: A Gap Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(4), pages 637-658, December.
- Marin, Dalia, 1992.
"Is the Export-Led.Growth Hypothesis Valid for Industrialized Countries?,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 74(4), pages 678-88, November.
- Marin, Dalia, 1990. "Is the Export-Led Growth Hypothesis Valid for Industrialized Countries?," CEPR Discussion Papers 362, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marin, Dalia, 1992. "Is the Export-led Growth Hypothesis Valid for Industrialized Countries?," Munich Reprints in Economics 3112, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Jean-Emile Denis & Daniel Depelteau, 1985. "Market Knowledge, Diversification and Export Expansion," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(3), pages 77-89, September.
- Geir Gripsrud, 1990. "The Determinants of Export Decisions and Attitudes to a Distant Market: Norwegian Fishery Exports to Japan," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(3), pages 469-485, September.
- Chandler, Gaylen N. & Hanks, Steven H., 1994. "Market attractiveness, resource-based capabilities, venture strategies, and venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 331-349, July.
- Farley, John U & Lehmann, Donald R & Ryan, Michael J, 1981. "Generalizing from "Imperfect" Replication," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 597-610, October.
- Erwin Dichtl & Hans-Georg Koeglmayr & Stefan Mueller, 1990. "International Orientation as a Precondition for Export Success," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 23-40, March.
- Belich, Thomas J. & Dubinsky, Alan J., 1995. "Factors related to information acquisition in exporting organizations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-11, May.
- Finn Wiedersheim-Paul & Hans C Olson & Lawrence S Welch, 1978. "Pre-Export Activity: The First step in Internationalization," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 47-58, March.
- Sharpe, Andrew, 1995. "International Perspectives on Productivity and Efficiency: Review Article," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 41(2), pages 221-37, June.
- Naidu, G. M. & Prasad, V. Kanti, 1994. "Predictors of export strategy and performance of small- and medium-sized firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(2-3), pages 107-115.
- Korth, Christopher M., 1991. "Managerial barriers to U.S. exports," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 18-26.
- Alan Baursmichmidt & Danial Sullivan & Kate Gillespie, 1985. "Common Factors Underlying Barriers to Export: Studies in the U.S. Paper Industry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(3), pages 111-123, September.
- Haar, Jerry & Ortiz-Buonafina, Marta, 1995. "The internationalization process and marketing activities : The case of Brazilian export firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 175-181, February.
- Otto Andersen, 1993. "On the Internationalization Process of Firms: A Critical Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(2), pages 209-231, June.
- Calof, Jonathan L. & Beamish, Paul W., 1995. "Adapting to foreign markets: Explaining internationalization," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-131, June.
- Dosoglu-Guner, Berrin, 2001. "Can organizational behavior explain the export intention of firms? The effects of organizational culture and ownership type," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 71-89, February.
- Tsui-Yii Shih & Rumintha Wickramasekera, 2011. "Export decisions within Taiwanese electrical and electronic SMEs: The role of management characteristics and attitudes," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 353-377, June.
- Majbritt Evald & Kim Klyver & Poul Christensen, 2011. "The effect of human capital, social capital, and perceptual values on nascent entrepreneurs’ export intentions," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Bürgel, Oliver & Fier, Andreas & Licht, Georg & Murray, Gordon & Nerlinger, Eric A., 1998. "The internationalisation of British and German start-up companies in high-technology industries," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-34, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Leonidou, Leonidas C., 2000. "Barriers to export management: an organizational and internationalization analysis," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 121-148.
- Marianne Matthee & Waldo Krugell, 2011. "Barriers to Internationalisation: Firm-Level Evidence from South Africa," Working Papers 2011/09, Maastricht School of Management.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.