Obstacles to export initiation and expansion
AbstractThe increasing globalization of markets witnessed in recent years has been paralleled by growing research attention upon the internationalization of small and medium sized firms. In industrialized nations, a significant degree of dormant export potential has been identified in this firm size sector. The proliferation of extant literature can explain structural, behavioural and process-based aspects of export expansion. However, it remains that limited conceptual and empirical insights exist that explain the phenomena underlying pre-export decision making and behaviour. The present inquiry addresses this issue and investigates those obstacles that act upon domestic firms' intentions to enter overseas markets via the export channel. Specifically, the empirical study documented here establishes significant differences in the extent to which exporting obstacles discourage export engagement amongst varied groups of domestic firms considered in terms of their export intention. It also draws a similar comparison between such groups of non-exporting firms and those already engaged in export operations. The findings are interpreted and discussed in the light of current knowledge and attention is paid towards pertinent implications for export management and future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 25 (1997)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Haar, Jerry & Ortiz-Buonafina, Marta, 1995. "The internationalization process and marketing activities : The case of Brazilian export firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 175-181, February.
- Marin, Dalia, 1990.
"Is the Export-Led Growth Hypothesis Valid for Industrialized Countries?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
362, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Marin, Dalia, 1992. "Is the Export-Led.Growth Hypothesis Valid for Industrialized Countries?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(4), pages 678-88, November.
- Marin, Dalia, 1992. "Is the Export-led Growth Hypothesis Valid for Industrialized Countries?," Munich Reprints in Economics 3112, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Erwin Dichtl & Hans-Georg Koeglmayr & Stefan Mueller, 1990. "International Orientation as a Precondition for Export Success," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(1), pages 23-40, March.
- Masaaki Kotabe & Michael R Czinkota, 1992. "State Government Promotion of Manufacturing Exports: A Gap Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 23(4), pages 637-658, December.
- Kumcu, Erdogan & Harcar, Talha & Kumcu, M. Ercan, 1995. "Managerial perceptions of the adequacy of export incentive programs : Implications for export-led economic development policy," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 163-174, February.
- Otto Andersen, 1993. "On the Internationalization Process of Firms: A Critical Analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(2), pages 209-231, June.
- Naidu, G. M. & Prasad, V. Kanti, 1994. "Predictors of export strategy and performance of small- and medium-sized firms," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 31(2-3), pages 107-115.
- Jean-Emile Denis & Daniel Depelteau, 1985. "Market Knowledge, Diversification and Export Expansion," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(3), pages 77-89, September.
- Calof, Jonathan L. & Beamish, Paul W., 1995. "Adapting to foreign markets: Explaining internationalization," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 115-131, June.
- Geir Gripsrud, 1990. "The Determinants of Export Decisions and Attitudes to a Distant Market: Norwegian Fishery Exports to Japan," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 21(3), pages 469-485, September.
- Korth, Christopher M., 1991. "Managerial barriers to U.S. exports," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 18-26.
- Finn Wiedersheim-Paul & Hans C Olson & Lawrence S Welch, 1978. "Pre-Export Activity: The First step in Internationalization," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 47-58, March.
- Farley, John U & Lehmann, Donald R & Ryan, Michael J, 1981. "Generalizing from "Imperfect" Replication," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 54(4), pages 597-610, October.
- Belich, Thomas J. & Dubinsky, Alan J., 1995. "Factors related to information acquisition in exporting organizations," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-11, May.
- Chandler, Gaylen N. & Hanks, Steven H., 1994. "Market attractiveness, resource-based capabilities, venture strategies, and venture performance," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 331-349, July.
- Sharpe, Andrew, 1995. "International Perspectives on Productivity and Efficiency: Review Article," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 41(2), pages 221-37, June.
- Bertschek, Irene, 1995. "Product and Process Innovation as a Response to Increasing Import and Foreign Direct Investment," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(4), pages 341-57, December.
- Andersen, Otto & Rynning, Marjo-Riitta, 1994. "Prediction of export intentions -- managing with structural characteristics?," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 17-27, March.
- Alan Baursmichmidt & Danial Sullivan & Kate Gillespie, 1985. "Common Factors Underlying Barriers to Export: Studies in the U.S. Paper Industry," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(3), pages 111-123, September.
- Marianne Matthee & Waldo Krugell, 2011. "Barriers to Internationalisation: Firm-Level Evidence from South Africa," Working Papers 2011/09, Maastricht School of Management.
- Dosoglu-Guner, Berrin, 2001. "Can organizational behavior explain the export intention of firms? The effects of organizational culture and ownership type," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 71-89, February.
- Uner, M. Mithat & Kocak, Akin & Cavusgil, Erin & Cavusgil, Salih Tamer, 2013. "Do barriers to export vary for born globals and across stages of internationalization? An empirical inquiry in the emerging market of Turkey," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 800-813.
- Abubakar Sambo Junaidu, 2012. "Facilitating Factors and Export Performance of SMEs in the Nigerian Leather Industry," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 2(4), pages 153-161, October.
- Leonidou, Leonidas C., 2000. "Barriers to export management: an organizational and internationalization analysis," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 6(2), pages 121-148.
- Majbritt Evald & Kim Klyver & Poul Christensen, 2011. "The effect of human capital, social capital, and perceptual values on nascent entrepreneurs’ export intentions," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Bürgel, Oliver & Fier, Andreas & Licht, Georg & Murray, Gordon & Nerlinger, Eric A., 1998. "The internationalisation of British and German start-up companies in high-technology industries," ZEW Discussion Papers 98-34, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Tsui-Yii Shih & Rumintha Wickramasekera, 2011. "Export decisions within Taiwanese electrical and electronic SMEs: The role of management characteristics and attitudes," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 353-377, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.