State Government Promotion of Manufacturing Exports: A Gap Analysis
AbstractThis study empirically examines the level of the export-related expertise of manufacturing firms in a Midwestern state of the United States, various problems they face in export business, and types of government assistance desired, by their stage of export involvement. It also investigates the appropriateness of government export assistance and the gap between governmental export promotion efforts and private sector needs. It is shown that the identification of expertise, problems, and government assistance needs by export stage can help government agencies develop a systematic approach to export promotion.© 1992 JIBS. Journal of International Business Studies (1992) 23, 637–658
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Palgrave Macmillan in its journal Journal of International Business Studies.
Volume (Year): 23 (1992)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.palgrave-journals.com/
Postal: Palgrave Macmillan Journals, Subscription Department, Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire RG21 6XS, UK
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Christian Volpe Martincus & Jerónimo Carballo & Pablo M. García, 2010.
"Public Programs to Promote Firms' Exports in Developing Countries: Are There Heterogeneous Effects by Size Categories?,"
36764, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Christian Volpe Martincus & Jer�nimo Carballo & Pablo M. Garcia, 2012. "Public programmes to promote firms’ exports in developing countries: are there heterogeneous effects by size categories?," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 44(4), pages 471-491, February.
- Griffith, David A. & Czinkota, Michael R., 2012. "Release the constraints: Solving the problems of export financing in troublesome times," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 251-260.
- Ross, Donald G. & Whalen, Michael P., 1999. "The Importance Of Practical Export Skills: Some Evidence From Canadian Agribusiness," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 2(01).
- Freixanet, Joan, 2012. "Export promotion programs: Their impact on companies’ internationalization performance and competitiveness," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 1065-1086.
- Lederman, Daniel & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Payton, Lucy, 2010. "Export promotion agencies: Do they work?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 257-265, March.
- Uribe-Etxeberria, Asier Minondo & Requena Silvente , Francisco, 2012. "The intensive and extensive margins of trade: decomposing exports growth differences across Spanish Regions," Investigaciones Regionales, Asociación Española de Ciencia Regional, issue 23, pages 53-76.
- Lederman, Daniel & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Payton, Lucy, 2006.
"Export Promotion Agencies: What Works and What Doesn't,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5810, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lederman, Daniel & Olarreaga, Marcelo & Payton, Lucy, 2006. "Export promotion agencies : what works and what doesn't," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4044, The World Bank.
- Wright, Mike & Filatotchev, Igor & Buck, Trevor & Bishop, Kate, 2002. "Foreign partners in the Former Soviet Union," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 165-179, October.
- Ross, Donald G. & Wheldon, Brett J., 2002. "Export finance skills for the U.S. and Japanese markets: An Australian agribusiness perspective," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 109-120.
- Wilkinson, Timothy & Brouthers, Lance Eliot, 2006. "Trade promotion and SME export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 233-252, June.
- Alvarez, Roberto, 2007. "Explaining Export Success: Firm Characteristics and Spillover Effects," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 377-393, March.
- Zhou Ting & Ling Guijun & Leng Bojun, 2010. "Important export skills comparison in different export stage: An empirical study of Chinese firms," Journal of Chinese Economic and Foreign Trade Studies, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 204-220, December.
- Ahmed, Zafar U. & Mohamed, Osman & Johnson, James P. & Meng, Leong Yee, 2002. "Export promotion programs of Malaysian firms: an international marketing perspective," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(10), pages 831-843, October.
- Morgan, Robert E. & Katsikeas, Constantine S., 1997. "Obstacles to export initiation and expansion," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 677-690, December.
- Piercy, Nigel F. & Katsikeas, Constantine S. & Cravens, David W., 1997. "Examining the role of buyer-seller relationships in export performance," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 73-86, April.
- Haydée Calderón & Teresa Fayós & Amparo Cervera, 2005. "A Model for valuation of government export promotion policies: An empirical analysis in the spanish context from a market oriented perspective," International Review on Public and Nonprofit Marketing, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 34-49, December.
- Javalgi, Rajshekhar G. & White, D. Steven & Lee, Oscar, 2000. "Firm Characteristics Influencing Export Propensity: An Empirical Investigation by Industry Type," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 217-228, March.
- Christian Volpe Martincus & Jerónimo Carballo, 2010. "Export Promotion: Heterogeneous Programs and Heterogeneous Effects," IDB Publications 36759, Inter-American Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elizabeth Gale).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.