Resource-based theory and international growth strategies: an exploratory study
AbstractThe resource-based approach incorporates traditional strategy insights concerning a firm's distinctive competencies. Furthermore, the resource-based approach also provides value-added theoretical propositions that are testable within the diversification strategy literature. This paper examines to what extent the resource-based theory can be used to predict other growth strategies than diversification. Based on an exploratory study from an export growth strategy context, the resource-based theory seems to be able to identify firms with growth ambitions, and to some degree to predict the intended growth strategy of the firm. The results and measurement problems are discussed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Business Review.
Volume (Year): 7 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/133/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foxall, Gordon, 1984. "Evidence for attitudinal-behavioural consistency: Implications for consumer research paradigms," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 71-92, March.
- Duncan, Jerome L, Jr, 1982. "Impacts of New Entry and Horizontal Joint Ventures on Industrial Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(2), pages 339-42, May.
- Bruce Kogut & Udo Zander, 1993. "Knowledge of the Firm and the Evolutionary Theory of the Multinational Corporation," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 625-645, December.
- Andersen, Otto & Rynning, Marjo-Riitta, 1994. "Prediction of export intentions -- managing with structural characteristics?," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 17-27, March.
- Robert G Cooper & Elko J Kleinschmidt, 1985. "The Impact of Export Strategy on Export Sales Performance," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(1), pages 37-55, March.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and Sustainability of Competitive Advantage," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1504-1511, December.
- S.A. Lippman & R.P. Rumelt, 1982. "Uncertain Imitability: An Analysis of Interfirm Differences in Efficiency under Competition," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 13(2), pages 418-438, Autumn.
- Ingemar Dierickx & Karel Cool, 1989. "Asset Stock Accumulation and the Sustainability of Competitive Advantage: Reply," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1514-1514, December.
- Warren J Bilkey, 1978. "An Attempted Integration of the Literature on the Export Behavior of Firms," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 9(1), pages 33-46, March.
- Lecraw, Donald J, 1984. "Diversification Strategy and Performance," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 179-98, December.
- O'Farrell, Patrick N. & Wood, Peter A., 1994. "International market selection by business service firms: Key conceptual and methodological issues," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 243-261, September.
- Jay B. Barney, 1986. "Strategic Factor Markets: Expectations, Luck, and Business Strategy," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(10), pages 1231-1241, October.
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer & Naor, Jacob, 1987. "Firm and management characteristics as discriminators of export marketing activity," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 221-235, June.
- Leonidou, Leonidas C., 1995. "Export stimulation research: Review, evaluation and integration," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 133-156, June.
- Berg, Sanford V & Friedman, Philip, 1981. "Impacts of Domestic Joint Ventures on Industrial Rates of Return: A Pooled Cross-Section Analysis, 1964-1975," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 63(2), pages 293-98, May.
- Henry Kaiser, 1974. "An index of factorial simplicity," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 31-36, March.
- Olli Kuivalainen & Kaisu Puumalainen & Sanna Sintonen & Kalevi Kyläheiko, 2010. "Organisational capabilities and internationalisation of the small and medium-sized information and communications technology firms," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 135-155, June.
- Demirbag, Mehmet & Mirza, Hafiz, 2000. "Factors affecting international joint venture success: an empirical analysis of foreign-local partner relationships and performance in joint ventures in Turkey," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 1-35, February.
- Knight, Gary A. & Liesch, Peter W., 2002. "Information internalisation in internationalising the firm," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(12), pages 981-995, December.
- Cerrato, Daniele, 2006. "The multinational enterprise as an internal market system," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 253-277, June.
- Huan Zou & Xiaoyun Chen & Pervez Ghauri, 2010. "Antecedents and consequences of new venture growth strategy: An empirical study in China," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 27(3), pages 393-421, September.
- Tan, Alvin & Brewer, Paul & Liesch, Peter W., 2007. "Before the first export decision: Internationalisation readiness in the pre-export phase," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 294-309, June.
- Mayrhofer, Ulrike, 2004. "The influence of national origin and uncertainty on the choice between cooperation and merger-acquisition: an analysis of French and German firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 83-99, February.
- Chan, Ricky Yee-kwong & Wong, Y. H., 1999. "Bank generic strategies: does Porter's theory apply in an international banking center," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(5-6), pages 561-590, October.
- Schmid, Stefan & Schurig, Andreas, 2003. "The development of critical capabilities in foreign subsidiaries: disentangling the role of the subsidiary's business network," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(6), pages 755-782, December.
- Singh, Deeksha A., 2009. "Export performance of emerging market firms," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 321-330, August.
- Mariola Ciszewska-Mlinarič & Krzysztof Oblój & Franjo Mlinarič, 2012. "How Relational Capabilities Matter? Organizational Context and Performance of Internationally Oriented SMEs," Central European Business Review, University of Economics, Prague, vol. 2012(3), pages 28-36.
- Raquel Meneses & Carlos Brito, 2012. "A Dynamic Approach To The Development Of International New Ventures," FEP Working Papers 454, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Wilkinson, Timothy & Brouthers, Lance Eliot, 2006. "Trade promotion and SME export performance," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 233-252, June.
- Contò, Francesco & Fiore, Mariantonietta & Antonazzo, Anna Paola & La Sala, Piermichele, 2012. "A development model for the internationalization of SME agro-food of Puglia: the ISCI project," MPRA Paper 42526, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.