Unity or diversity? On the integration and efficiency of rice markets in Indonesia, c. 1920-2006
AbstractThe emergence of an integrated national economy in Indonesia has been a slow and ongoing evolutionary process. Using rice price series for a number of cities across the Indonesian archipelago, this paper provides quantitative evidence to track this process for the specific case of the rice market. It shows that during Indonesia's colonial period rice markets were relatively well integrated and functioned efficiently. However, the Second World War and the subsequent struggle for independence resulted in disintegrated and inefficient markets. It is only since the late 1970s that markets in Indonesia have returned to a situation in which we can speak about a national integrated economy with well-functioning markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Explorations in Economic History.
Volume (Year): 47 (2010)
Issue (Month): 3 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622830
Market integration Indonesia Cointegration Market efficiency Rice prices;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Keller, Wolfgang & Shiue, Carol Hua, 2004.
"Markets in China and Europe on the Eve of the Industrial Revolution,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4420, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carol H. Shiue & Wolfgang Keller, 2007. "Markets in China and Europe on the Eve of the Industrial Revolution," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(4), pages 1189-1216, September.
- Carol H. Shiue & Wolfgang Keller, 2004. "Markets in China and Europe on the Eve of the Industrial Revolution," NBER Working Papers 10778, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Timmer, 2004.
"Food Security and Economic Growth: An Asian Perspective,"
51, Center for Global Development.
- C. Peter Timmer, 2005. "Food Security and Economic Growth: an Asian perspective," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 19(2), pages 1-17, 05.
- Robert J. Barro, 2013.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
Annals of Economics and Finance,
Society for AEF, vol. 14(1), pages 121-144, May.
- P. J. Dawson & P. K. Dey, 2002. "Testing for the law of one price: rice market integration in Bangladesh," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 473-484.
- Ismet, Mohammad & Barkley, Andrew P. & Llewelyn, Richard V., 1998.
"Government intervention and market integration in Indonesian rice markets,"
Blackwell, vol. 19(3), pages 283-295, December.
- Ismet, Mohammad & Barkley, Andrew P. & Llewelyn, Richard V., 1998. "Government intervention and market integration in Indonesian rice markets," Agricultural Economics: The Journal of the International Association of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 19(3), December.
- Williams,Jeffrey C. & Wright,Brian D., 1991.
"Storage and Commodity Markets,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521326162, April.
- O Grada, Cormac, 2001.
"Markets and Famines: Evidence from Nineteenth-Century Finland,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 49(3), pages 575-90, April.
- Grada, C.O., 1998. "Markets and Famines: Evidence from Nineteenth-Century Finland," Papers 98/08, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- O'Rourke, Kevin & Williamson, Jeffrey G., 1994. "Late Nineteenth-Century Anglo-American Factor-Price Convergence: Were Heckscher and Ohlin Right?," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 54(04), pages 892-916, December.
- Dawe, David, 1996. "A new look at the effects of export instability on investment and growth," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(12), pages 1905-1914, December.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1990. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference on Cointegration--With Applications to the Demand for Money," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 52(2), pages 169-210, May.
- Roman Studer, 2007.
"India and the Great Divergence: Assessing the Efficiency of Grain Markets in Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-Century India,"
Oxford University Economic and Social History Series
_068, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Studer, Roman, 2008. "India and the Great Divergence: Assessing the Efficiency of Grain Markets in Eighteenth- and Nineteenth-Century India," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 68(02), pages 393-437, June.
- C. W. J. Granger & C. M. Elliott, 1967. "A Fresh Look at Wheat Prices and Markets in the Eighteenth Century," Economic History Review, Economic History Society, vol. 20(2), pages 257-265, 08.
- Baten, Jörg & Wallusch, Jacek, 2003. "Market integration and disintegration of Poland and Gemany [Germany] in the 18th century," TÃ¼binger DiskussionsbeitrÃ¤ge 268, University of Tübingen, School of Business and Economics.
- Neil McCulloch & C. Peter Timmer, 2008. "Rice Policy In Indonesia: A Special Issue," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(1), pages 33-44.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Identifying restrictions of linear equations with applications to simultaneous equations and cointegration," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 111-132, September.
- Harriss, Barbara, 1979. "There is Method in My Madness: Or is it Vice Versa? Measuring Agricultural Market Performance," Food Research Institute Studies, Stanford University, Food Research Institute, issue 02.
- Metzer, Jacob, 1974. "Railroad Development and Market Integration: The Case of Tsarist Russia," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 34(03), pages 529-550, September.
- Gloria Gonz�lez-Rivera & Steven M. Helfand, 2001. "The Extent, Pattern, and Degree of Market Integration: A Multivariate Approach for the Brazilian Rice Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(3), pages 576-592.
- Franses, Ph.H.B.F., 1999.
"How to deal with intercept and trend in pratical cointegration analysis?,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 9904-/A, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Philip Hans Franses, 2001. "How to deal with intercept and trend in practical cointegration analysis?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(5), pages 577-579.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1981. "Some properties of time series data and their use in econometric model specification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 121-130, May.
- Bob Baulch, 1997. "Transfer Costs, Spatial Arbitrage, and Testing for Food Market Integration," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 477-487.
- Federico, Giovanni, 2007. "Market integration and market efficiency: The case of 19th century Italy," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 293-316, April.
- Timmer, C. Peter, 1974. "A Model of Rice Marketing Margins in Indonesia," Food Research Institute Studies, Stanford University, Food Research Institute, issue 02.
- Piggott, Roley R. & Parton, Kevin A. & Treadgold, Elaine M. & Hutabarat, Budiman, 1993. "Food Price Policy in Indonesia," Monographs, Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research, number 118694.
- David Dawe, 2008. "Can Indonesia Trust The World Rice Market?," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(1), pages 115-132.
- Timmer, C. Peter, 1989. "Food price policy : The rationale for government intervention," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 17-27, February.
- Anderson, Jock & Roumasset, James, 1996. "FOOD Insecurity and Stochastic Aspects of Poverty," MPRA Paper 13323, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ellis, Frank, 1993. "Private trade and public role in staple food marketing : The case of rice in Indonesia," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 428-438, October.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.