Testing for the law of one price: rice market integration in Bangladesh
AbstractRecent studies of spatial market integration have adopted error correction models to test for its existence and for market dominance. An integrated empirical framework is proposed here which tests for long-run spatial market integration between price pairs using a dynamic vector autoregressive model and cointegration. Hypotheses tests of market integration, perfect market integration, and causality are conducted sequentially. The approach is illustrated using monthly prices from rice markets in Bangladesh since trade liberalisation in 1992. Results show that rice markets are perfectly integrated and that Dhaka dominates near markets but is dominated by more distant markets. Copyright © 2002 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 14 (2002)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jones, William O., 1968. "The Structure of Staple Food Marketing in Nigeria as Revealed by Price Analysis," Food Research Institute Studies, Stanford University, Food Research Institute, issue 02.
- Eric Zivot & Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990.
"Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
944, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 1992. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 251-70, July.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 2002. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 25-44, January.
- Johansen, S., 1991.
"Determination of Cointegration Rank in the Presence of a Linear Trend,"
76a, Helsinki - Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1992. "Determination of Cointegration Rank in the Presence of a Linear Trend," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 383-97, August.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Some recent development in a concept of causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 199-211.
- Theodosios B. Palaskas & Barbara Harriss-White, 1996. "The identification of market exogeneity and market dominance by tests instead of assumption: An application to Indian material," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 111-123.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Goletti, Francesco, 1994. "The changing public role in a rice economy approaching self-sufficiency: the case of Bangladesh," Research reports 98, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Granger, C. W. J. & Newbold, P., 1974. "Spurious regressions in econometrics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 111-120, July.
- Mosconi, Rocco & Giannini, Carlo, 1992. "Non-causality in Cointegrated Systems: Representation Estimation and Testing," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 54(3), pages 399-417, August.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Crow, Ben & Murshid, K. A. S., 1994. "Economic returns to social power: Merchants' finance and interlinkage in the grain markets of Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 1011-1030, July.
- Ahmed, Raisuddin & Bernard, Andrew, 1989. "Rice price fluctuation and an approach to price stabilization in Bangladesh:," Research reports 72, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Marks, Daan, 2010. "Unity or diversity? On the integration and efficiency of rice markets in Indonesia, c. 1920-2006," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 47(3), pages 310-324, July.
- Yavapolkul, Navin & Gopinath, Munisamy & Gulati, Ashok, 2004. "Post-Uruguay Round price linkages between developed and developing countries," MTID discussion papers 76, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Alam, Mohammad Jahangir & Begum, Ismat Ara, 2012. "World and Bangladesh Rice Market Integration: An Application of Threshold Cointegration and Threshold Vector Error Correction Model (TVECM)," 86th Annual Conference, April 16-18, 2012, Warwick University, Coventry, UK 135119, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Rashid, Shahidur & Cummings, Ralph Jr. & Gulati, Ashok, 2005. "Grain marketing parastatals in Asia," MTID discussion papers 80, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Chowdhury, Nuimuddin & Farid, Nasir & Roy, Devesh, 2006. "Food policy liberalization in Bangladesh: how the government and the markets delivered," MTID discussion papers 92, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Alam, Mohammad Jahangir & McKenzie, Andrew M. & Buysse, Jeroen & Begum, Ismat Ara & Wailes, Eric J. & Van Huylenbroeck, Guido, 2012. "Measuring Market Integration in the Presence of Threshold Effect: The Case of Bangladesh Rice Markets," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124435, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Katengeza, Samson P. & Mangisoni, Julius H. & Okello, Julius Juma, 2010. "The Role of ICT-based Market Information Services in Spatial Food Market Integration: The Case of Malawi Agricultural Commodity Exchange," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa 96170, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE) & Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Kadir Eryigit & Suleyman Karaman, 2011. "Testing for spatial market integration and law of one price in Turkish wheat markets," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 45(6), pages 1519-1530, October.
- Le Dang Trung & Tran Ngo Minh Tam & Bob Baulch & Henrik Hansen, 2007.
"Testing for Food market integration: A study of the Vietnamese paddy market,"
11, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Trung, Le Dang & Tam, Tran Ngo Minh & Baulch, Bob & Hansen, Henrik, 2007. "Testing for Food Market Integration: A Study of the Vietnamese Paddy Market," 81st Annual Conference, April 2-4, 2007, Reading University 7974, Agricultural Economics Society.
- Muhammad Sarwar Zahid & Abdul Qayyum & Wasim Shahid Malik, 2007. "Dynamics of Wheat Market Integration in Northern Punjab, Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 46(4), pages 817-830.
- Tahir Mukhtar & Muhammad Tariq Javed, 2007. "Price Integration in Wholesale Maize Markets in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 46(4), pages 1075-1084.
- Katengeza, Samson P., 2009. "Malawi Agricultural Commodity Exchange And Spatial Rice Market Integration," Research Theses 117804, Collaborative Masters Program in Agricultural and Applied Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.