Testing conditional factor models: A nonparametric approach
AbstractSome recent studies of conditional factor models do not specify conditioning information but use data from small windows to estimate the time series of conditional alphas and betas. In this paper, we propose a nonparametric method using an optimal window to estimate time-varying coefficients. In addition, we offer two empirical tests of a conditional factor model. Using our new method, we examine the performance of the conditional CAPM and the conditional Fama–French three-factor model in explaining the return variations of portfolios sorted by size, book-to-market ratios, and past returns, for which recent literature has generated controversial results. We find that, although in general the conditional FF model outperforms the conditional CAPM, both models fail to explain well-known asset-pricing anomalies. Moreover, for both models, the failure is more pronounced for the equally-weighted portfolios than for the value-weighted ones.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Empirical Finance.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jempfin
Conditional CAPM; Conditional Fama–French three-factor model; Momentum; Nonparametric method; Size; Value;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G11 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Portfolio Choice; Investment Decisions
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kinnunen, Jyri, 2013. "Dynamic return predictability in the Russian stock market," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(C), pages 107-121.
- Zárraga Alonso, Ainhoa & Nieto Domenech, Belén & Orbe Mandaluniz, Susan, 2011. "Time-Varying Beta Estimators in the Mexican Emerging Market," BILTOKI 2011-06, Universidad del País Vasco - Departamento de Economía Aplicada III (Econometría y Estadística).
- Ang, Andrew & Kristensen, Dennis, 2012.
"Testing conditional factor models,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 132-156.
- Andrew Ang & Dennis Kristensen, 2011. "Testing Conditional Factor Models," NBER Working Papers 17561, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dennis Kristensen & Andrew Ang, 2009. "Testing Conditional Factor Models," CREATES Research Papers 2009-09, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Corradi, Valentina & Distaso, Walter & Fernandes, Marcelo, 2013. "Conditional alphas and realized betas," Textos para discussÃ£o 341, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.