Estimation and Evaluation of Conditional Asset Pricing Models
AbstractWe find that several recently proposed consumption-based models of stock returns, when evaluated using an optimal set of managed portfolios and the associated model-implied conditional moment restrictions, fail to capture key features of risk premiums in equity markets. To arrive at these conclusions, we construct an optimal GMM estimator for models in which the stochastic discount factor (SDF) is a conditionally affine function of a set of priced risk factors. Further, for the (often relevant) case where a researcher is proposing a generalized SDF relative to some null model, we show that there is an optimal choice of managed portfolios to use in testing the null against the proposed alternative.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 16457.
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Stefan Nagel & Kenneth J. Singleton, 2011. "Estimation and Evaluation of Conditional Asset Pricing Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(3), pages 873-909, 06.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Stefan Nagel & Kenneth J. Singleton, 2011. "Estimation and Evaluation of Conditional Asset Pricing Models," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(3), pages 873-909, 06.
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Manuel Arellano & Lars P. Hansen & Enrique Sentana, 2000.
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1824, Econometric Society.
- Manuel Arellano & Lars Peter Hansen & Enrique Sentana, 2009. "Underidentification?," Working Papers wp2009_0905, CEMFI.
- Manuel Arellano & Lars Peter Hansen & Enrique Sentana, 2009. "Underidentification?," CeMMAP working papers CWP24/09, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Tim Bollerslev & Viktor Todorov, 2010.
"Estimation of Jump Tails,"
10-37, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Kang, Hankil & Kang, Jangkoo & Lee, Changjun, 2013. "Do the production-based factors capture the time-varying patterns in stock returns?," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(C), pages 122-135.
- Stefan Nagel, 2012.
"Empirical Cross-Sectional Asset Pricing,"
NBER Working Papers
18554, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Galvani, Valentina & Gubellini, Stefano, 2013. "Mean–variance dominant trading strategies," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 142-150.
- Jaime Casassus & Freddy Higuera, 2011. "Stock Return Predictability and Oil Prices," Documentos de Trabajo 406, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Gagliardini, Patrick & Ronchetti, Diego, 2013. "Semi-parametric estimation of American option prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 57-82.
- Fletcher, Jonathan, 2014. "Benchmark models of expected returns in U.K. portfolio performance: An empirical investigation," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 30-46.
- Gospodinov, Nikolay & Kan, Raymond & Robotti, Cesare, 2013.
"Chi-squared tests for evaluation and comparison of asset pricing models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 108-125.
- Nikolay Gospodinov & Raymond Kan & Cesare Robotti, 2011. "Chi-squared tests for evaluation and comparison of asset pricing models," Working Paper 2011-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Aono, Kohei & Iwaisako, Tokuo, 2013. "The consumption–wealth ratio, real estate wealth, and the Japanese stock market," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 25, pages 39-51.
- Klein, Rudolf F. & Chow, Victor K., 2013. "Orthogonalized factors and systematic risk decomposition," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 175-187.
- Nikolai Roussanov, 2010.
"Composition of Wealth, Conditioning Information, and the Cross-Section of Stock Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
16073, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roussanov, Nikolai, 2014. "Composition of wealth, conditioning information, and the cross-section of stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 352-380.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.