Estimation and Evaluation of Conditional Asset Pricing Models
AbstractWe find that several recently proposed consumption-based models of stock returns, when evaluated using an optimal set of managed portfolios and the associated model-implied conditional moment restrictions, fail to capture key features of risk premiums in equity markets. To arrive at these conclusions, we construct an optimal GMM estimator for models in which the stochastic discount factor (SDF) is a conditionally affine function of a set of priced risk factors. Further, for the (often relevant) case where a researcher is proposing a generalized SDF relative to some null model, we show that there is an optimal choice of managed portfolios to use in testing the null against the proposed alternative.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Finance Association in its journal Journal of Finance.
Volume (Year): 66 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (06)
Other versions of this item:
- Stefan Nagel & Kenneth J. Singleton, 2010. "Estimation and Evaluation of Conditional Asset Pricing Models," NBER Working Papers 16457, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fletcher, Jonathan, 2014. "Benchmark models of expected returns in U.K. portfolio performance: An empirical investigation," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(C), pages 30-46.
- Nikolai Roussanov, 2010.
"Composition of Wealth, Conditioning Information, and the Cross-Section of Stock Returns,"
NBER Working Papers
16073, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roussanov, Nikolai, 2014. "Composition of wealth, conditioning information, and the cross-section of stock returns," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 352-380.
- Manuel Arellano & Lars Peter Hansen & Enrique Sentana, 2009.
CeMMAP working papers
CWP24/09, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Manuel Arellano & Lars P. Hansen & Enrique Sentana, 2000. "Underidentification?," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1824, Econometric Society.
- Manuel Arellano & Lars Peter Hansen & Enrique Sentana, 2009. "Underidentification?," Working Papers wp2009_0905, CEMFI.
- Nagel, Stefan, 2012.
"Empirical Cross-Sectional Asset Pricing,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
9227, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Klein, Rudolf F. & Chow, Victor K., 2013. "Orthogonalized factors and systematic risk decomposition," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 175-187.
- Tim Bollerslev & Viktor Todorov, 2010.
"Estimation of Jump Tails,"
CREATES Research Papers
2010-16, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Gospodinov, Nikolay & Kan, Raymond & Robotti, Cesare, 2013.
"Chi-squared tests for evaluation and comparison of asset pricing models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 108-125.
- Nikolay Gospodinov & Raymond Kan & Cesare Robotti, 2011. "Chi-squared tests for evaluation and comparison of asset pricing models," Working Paper 2011-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Kang, Hankil & Kang, Jangkoo & Lee, Changjun, 2013. "Do the production-based factors capture the time-varying patterns in stock returns?," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(C), pages 122-135.
- Gagliardini, Patrick & Ronchetti, Diego, 2013. "Semi-parametric estimation of American option prices," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 57-82.
- Galvani, Valentina & Gubellini, Stefano, 2013. "Mean–variance dominant trading strategies," Finance Research Letters, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 142-150.
- Jaime Casassus & Freddy Higuera, 2011. "Stock Return Predictability and Oil Prices," Documentos de Trabajo 406, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Aono, Kohei & Iwaisako, Tokuo, 2013. "The consumption–wealth ratio, real estate wealth, and the Japanese stock market," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 25, pages 39-51.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.