Revisiting the Relationship between Coal Consumption and Economic Growth: Cointegration and Causality Analysis in Pakistan
AbstractThe paper re-visits the relationship between coal consumption and economic growth by including other supporting variables such as capital use and labor participation rate in Pakistan over the 1972-2009 period. The paper adopts an augmented neoclassical production framework. In doing so, for the long run relationship between the variables, the ARDL bounds testing approach to cointegration is applied. The VECM Granger causality procedure is used to detect the direction of causality between coal consumption and economic growth while an innovative accounting approach is used to check the robustness of causality results. Empirical exercise confirms a long run relationship between the variables. The results suggest that coal consumption, capital use and the labor participation rate have positive impact on economic growth. Causality analysis indicates bidirectional causal relation between coal consumption and economic growth and results are robust through innovative accounting approach. This implies that energy (coal) conservation policies may retard economic growth that in turn lowers the demand of coal.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Euro-American Association of Economic Development in its journal Applied Econometrics and International Development.
Volume (Year): 12 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q20 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation - - - General
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Apergis, Nicholas & Payne, James E., 2009. "Energy consumption and economic growth in Central America: Evidence from a panel cointegration and error correction model," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 211-216.
- Satti, Saqlain Latif & Hassan, Muhammad shahid & Mahmood, Haider & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2013.
"Coal Consumption: An Alternate Energy Resource to Fuel Economic Growth in Pakistan,"
50147, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 17 Sep 2013.
- Satti, Saqlain Latif & Hassan, Muhammad Shahid & Mahmood, Haider & Shahbaz, Muhammad, 2014. "Coal consumption: An alternate energy resource to fuel economic growth in Pakistan," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 36(C), pages 282-287.
- Muhammad Zeshan & Vaqar Ahmed, 2013. "Energy, environment and growth nexus in South Asia," Environment, Development and Sustainability, Springer, vol. 15(6), pages 1465-1475, December.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Farhani, Sahbi & Rahman, Mohammad Mafizur, 2013. "Natural Gas Consumption and Economic Growth Nexus: The Role of Exports, Capital and Labor in France," MPRA Paper 50619, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 12 Oct 2013.
- Muhammad, Shahbaz & Lean, Hooi Hooi & Abdul, Farooq, 2012.
"Natural Gas Consumption and Economic Growth in Pakistan,"
40959, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 30 Aug 2012.
- Shahbaz, Muhammad & Lean, Hooi Hooi & Farooq, Abdul, 2013. "Natural gas consumption and economic growth in Pakistan," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 18(C), pages 87-94.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.