Structure verticale d'un réseau de distribution de drogues illicites et politique répressive optimale
AbstractThis paper gives a theoretical base to the vertical structure of the distribution network of illicit drugs by using the analysis of vertical relationships and the illegal character of the drug traffic. The model is then used to show how the regulator, through law enforcement costs imposed on drugs sellers, can implement the optimal structure. We show that the vertically separated network, .first best optimal structure, a very often noticed structure on drugs market, can never be implementable.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by De Boeck Université in its journal Recherches économiques de Louvain.
Volume (Year): 71 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-recherches-economiques-de-louvain.htm
Other versions of this item:
- Sylvaine PORET, 2005. "Structure verticale d’un réseau de distribution de drogues illicites et politique répressive optimale," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2005043, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Sylvaine Poret, 2002. "Structure verticale d’un réseau de distribution de drogues illicites et politique répressive optimale," Working Papers 2002-07, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- K42 - Law and Economics - - Legal Procedure, the Legal System, and Illegal Behavior - - - Illegal Behavior and the Enforcement of Law
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marceau, Nicolas & Mongrain, Steeve, 1999. "Dissuader le crime : un survol," L'Actualité Economique, Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 75(1), pages 123-147, mars-juin.
- Chiu, Stephen & Mansley, Edward C. & Morgan, John, 1998. "Choosing the right battlefield for the war on drugs: an irrelevance result," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 107-111, April.
- Henry Saffer & Frank Chaloupka, 1995.
"The Demand for Illicit Drugs,"
NBER Working Papers
5238, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Becker, Gary S & Murphy, Kevin M, 1988.
"A Theory of Rational Addiction,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(4), pages 675-700, August.
- Gary S. Becker & Kevin M. Murphy, 1986. "A Theory of Rational Addiction," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 41, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Jeffrey A. Miron & Jeffrey Zwiebel, 1995. "The Economic Case against Drug Prohibition," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 175-192, Fall.
- Joseph J. Spengler, 1950. "Vertical Integration and Antitrust Policy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 58, pages 347.
- Abdalla Mansour & Nicolas Marceau & Steeve Mongrain, 2001.
"Gangs and Crime Deterrence,"
Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers
138, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Nicolas Marceau & Steeve Mongrain, 1999. "Dissuader le crime," Cahiers de recherche du DÃ©partement des sciences Ã©conomiques, UQAM 9902, Université du Québec à Montréal, Département des sciences économiques.
- Poret, Sylvaine, 2009.
"An optimal anti-drug law enforcement policy,"
International Review of Law and Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 221-228, September.
- Jonathan P. Caulkins, 1997. "Modeling the Domestic Distribution Network for Illicit Drugs," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(10), pages 1364-1371, October.
- Hauret, Laetitia & Langlais, Eric & Sonntag, Carine, 2009.
"On the deterrent effect of individual versus collective liability in criminal organizations,"
14762, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Laetitia HAURET & Eric LANGLAIS & Carine SONNTAG, 2011. "On The Deterrent Effect Of Individual Versus Collective Liability In Criminal Organizations," Journal of Advanced Research in Law and Economics, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(2), pages 125-135, December.
- Sylvaine Poret, 2005.
"An Optimal Anti-Drug Law Enforcement Policy,"
2005-17, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.