Education, inequality and transition
AbstractEvidence is considered on differences in access to education and in learning achievement within the countries of Central and Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. The situation inherited from the communist period is first summarized: there were some significant disparities with, for example, family background having a strong association with tertiary enrolments, as in Western countries. Analysis of the transition period focuses on the differences in access and achievement associated with household income and geographic location. Disparities are not the same across the region; in some countries, such as Russia, there are clear grounds for serious concern, but it is unlikely that any country has cause for complacency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development in its journal The Economics of Transition.
Volume (Year): 7 (1999)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: One Exchange Square, London EC2A 2JN
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0967-0750
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- P36 - Economic Systems - - Socialist Institutions and Their Transitions - - - Consumer Economics; Health; Education and Training; Welfare, Income, Wealth, and Poverty
You can help add them by filling out this form.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- ZaÅ¡to se studenti i uvaÅ¾eni struÄnjaci ne osvrnu na ovo?
by cronomy in Cronomy on 2009-05-10 19:39:37
- Noland, Marcus & Son, Hyun H., 2012. "Editors’ introduction transitional economies: Progress and pitfalls," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 107-110.
- Randall K. Filer & Daniel Munich, 2000.
"Responses of Private and Public Schools to Voucher Funding:The Czech and Hungarian Experience,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp160, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economic Institute, Prague.
- Randall K. Filer & Daniel MÃ¼nich, 2001. "Responses of Private and Public Schools to Voucher Funding:The Czech and Hungarian Experience," HEW, EconWPA 0012002, EconWPA.
- Randall K. Filer & Daniel MÃ¼nich, 2000. "Responses of Private and Public Schools to Voucher Funding: The Czech and Hungarian Experience," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 360, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Michael Spagat, 2002.
"Human Capital, Growth and Inequality in Transition Economies,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
499, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Spagat, Michael, 2002. "Human Capital, Growth and Inequality in Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 3556, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Biavaschi, Costanza & Eichhorst, Werner & Giulietti, Corrado & Kendzia, Michael J. & Muravyev, Alexander & Pieters, Janneke & Rodríguez-Planas, Núria & Schmidl, Ricarda & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2012.
"Youth Unemployment and Vocational Training,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6890, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Zimmermann, Klaus F. & Biavaschi, Costanza & Eichhorst, Werner & Giulietti, Corrado & Kendzia, Michael J. & Muravyev, Alexander & Pieters, Janneke & RodrÃƒÂguez-Planas, NÃƒÂºria & Schmidl, Ricarda, 2013. "Youth Unemployment and Vocational Training," Foundations and Trends(R) in Microeconomics, now publishers, now publishers, vol. 9(1â€“2), pages 1-157, December.
- Micklewright, John & Schnepf, Sylke V., 2006. "Inequality of Learning in Industrialised Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 2517, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cristina Iannelli, 2002. "Parental Education and Young People's Educational and Labour Market Outcomes: A Comparison across Europe," MZES Working Papers, MZES 45, MZES.
- Spagat, Michael, 2006.
"Human capital and the future of transition economies,"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 44-56, March.
- Spagat, Michael, 2002. "Human Capital and the Future of Transition Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 3517, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael Spagat, 2001. "Human Capital and the Future of Transition Economies," Royal Holloway, University of London: Discussion Papers in Economics, Department of Economics, Royal Holloway University of London 01/3, Department of Economics, Royal Holloway University of London, revised Dec 2001.
- Nancy Vandycke, 2001. "Access to Education for the Poor in Europe and Central Asia : Preliminary Evidence and Policy Implications," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13974, October.
- Habibov, Nazim, 2012. "Early childhood care and education attendance in Central Asia," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 798-806.
- Bonev, Pavlin, 2013. "Government Intervention in Postsecondary Education in Bulgaria," MPRA Paper 52669, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Polanec, Sašo & Ahčan, Aleš & Verbič, Miroslav, 2010.
"Retirement Decisions in Transition: Microeconometric Evidence from Slovenia,"
28460, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- SaÅ¡o Polanec & AleÅ¡ AhÄan & Miroslav VerbiÄ, 2013. "Retirement decisions in transition: microeconometric evidence from Slovenia," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(1), pages 99-118, March.
- Giorgio Brunello & Elena Crivellaro & Lorenzo Rocco, 2012. "Lost in transition?," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 20(4), pages 637-676, October.
- Pastore, Francesco, 2005. "To Study or to Work? Education and Labour Market Participation of Young People in Poland," IZA Discussion Papers 1793, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Filer, Randall K. & MÃ¼nich, Daniel, 2013. "Responses of private and public schools to voucher funding," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(C), pages 269-285.
- Eichhorst, Werner & Rodríguez-Planas, Núria & Schmidl, Ricarda & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2012. "A Roadmap to Vocational Education and Training Systems Around the World," IZA Discussion Papers 7110, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.