Granger Causality From The Exchange Rate To Agricultural Prices And Export Sales
AbstractIn-sample and out-of-sample Granger causality tests are applied to determine whether the real trade-weighted agricultural exchange rate helps predict monthly real prices and export sales of wheat, corn, and soybeans. An ARIMA model, alternative univariate and bivariate autoregressive models, and a restricted bivariate autoregressive model based on HsiaoÂ’s procedure are specified for each variable. Results of the causality are shown to be sensitive to specification choice. Forecasting performance of the models is compared and out-of-sample Granger causality is determined using univariate and bivariate models with the best (lowest mean-square forecast error) forecasting accuracy. These tests provide evidence supportive of Granger causality from the exchange rate to export sales, while the evidence on causality from the exchange rate to prices is mixed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Western Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Western Journal of Agricultural Economics.
Volume (Year): 15 (1990)
Issue (Month): 01 (July)
Financial Economics; International Relations/Trade;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Orden, David, 1986. "Agriculture, trade, and macroeconomics: The U.S. case," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 27-51.
- Ashley, R & Granger, C W J & Schmalensee, R, 1980. "Advertising and Aggregate Consumption: An Analysis of Causality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1149-67, July.
- Dallas S. Batten & Michael T. Belongia, 1984. "The recent decline in agricultural exports: is the exchange rate the culprit?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Oct, pages 5-14.
- Bessler, David A & Babula, Ronald A, 1987. "Forecasting Wheat Exports: Do Exchange Rates Matter?," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(3), pages 397-406, July.
- Kastens, Terry L. & Schroeder, Ted C., 1993. "Expectations of Cattle Feeding Investors in Feeder Cattle Placements," Staff Papers 118159, Kansas State University, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Xu, Miao & Orden, David, 2002. "Exchange Rate Effects On Canadian/U.S. Agricultural Prices," 2002 Annual meeting, July 28-31, Long Beach, CA 19886, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Goodwin, Barry K., 1992. "Forecasting Cattle Prices In The Presence Of Structural Change," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Orden, David, 2000. "Exchange Rate Effects On Agricultural Trade And Trade Relations," Policy Harmonization and Adjustment in the North American Agricultural and Food Industry; Proceedings of the 5th Agricultural and Food Policy - 1999 16803, Farm Foundation, Agricultural and Food Policy Systems Information Workshops.
- Jungho Baek & Won W. Koo, 2008.
"Identifying Macroeconomic Linkages to U.S. Agricultural Trade Balance,"
Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie,
Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 56(1), pages 63-77, 03.
- Baek, Jungho & Koo, Won W., 2006. "Identifying macroeconomic linkages to US agricultural trade balance," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21048, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Liang, Chyi-Lyi (Kathleen) & Feuz, Dillon M. & Taylor, R. Garth, 1998. "Spatial And Varietal Price Analysis Of Dry Edible Bean Markets," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 1(03).
- Khurshid Kiani & Terry Kastens, 2008. "Testing Forecast Accuracy of Foreign Exchange Rates: Predictions from Feed Forward and Various Recurrent Neural Network Architectures," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 32(4), pages 383-406, November.
- Orden, David, 2002. "Exchange Rate Effects On Agricultural Trade," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 34(02), August.
- Liu, Donald J. & Chung, Pin J. & Meyers, William H., 1993. "The Impact Of Domestic And Foreign Macroeconomic Variables On U.S. Meat Exports," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 22(2), October.
- Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 2001. "Formula-Derived Versus Observed Market Prices: An Application For Segregated Early Weaned Pigs," 2001 Annual Meeting, July 8-11, 2001, Logan, Utah 36145, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Kastens, Terry L. & Schroeder, Ted C., 1994. "Cattle Feeder Behavior And Feeder Cattle Placements," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 19(02), December.
- Baek, Jungho & Mulik, Kranti & Koo, Won W., 2006. "The J-Curve Phenomenon: Myth or Reality?," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21382, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Al Awad, Mouawiya & Goodwin, Barry K., 1998. "Dynamic linkages among real interest rates in international capital markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 881-907, December.
- Baek, Jungho & Koo, Won W. & Mulik, Kranti, 2009. "Exchange Rate Dynamics and the Bilateral Trade Balance: The Case of U.S. Agriculture," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 38(2), October.
- Zapata, Hector O. & Gil, Jose M., 1999. "Cointegration and causality in international agricultural economics research," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 20(1), pages 1-9, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.