Bid-ask spreads in commodity futures markets
AbstractIssues of recent interest and controversy regarding bid-ask spreads in commodity futures markets are investigated. First, competing spread estimators are applied to open outcry transactions data and resulting estimates are compared to observed spreads. This enables market microstructure researchers, regulators, exchange officials, and traders the opportunity to evaluate the usefulness and accuracy of bid-ask estimators in markets that do not report bid and ask data, providing an idea of the 'worst-case' transaction costs that are likely to be incurred. Also compared, are spreads observed before and after trading was automated (and made anonymous) on commodity futures markets, and it is discovered that spreads have generally widened since trading was automated, and that they have an increased tendency to widen in periods of high volatility. These findings suggest that commodity futures markets have an inherently different character than financial futures markets, and therefore merit separate investigation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (2004)
Issue (Month): 13 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Petersen, Mitchell A. & Fialkowski, David, 1994. "Posted versus effective spreads *1: Good prices or bad quotes?," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 269-292, June.
- Copeland, Thomas E & Galai, Dan, 1983. " Information Effects on the Bid-Ask Spread," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(5), pages 1457-69, December.
- Foster, F. Douglas & Viswanathan, S., 1994. "Strategic Trading with Asymmetrically Informed Traders and Long-Lived Information," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(04), pages 499-518, December.
- Frino, Alex & McInish, Thomas H. & Toner, Martin, 1998. "The liquidity of automated exchanges: new evidence from German Bund futures," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(3-4), pages 225-241, December.
- Lee, Charles M C & Ready, Mark J, 1991. " Inferring Trade Direction from Intraday Data," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 733-46, June.
- Thompson, S. & Waller, M.L., 1988. "Determinants Of Liquidity Costs In Commodity Furures Markets," Papers 172, Columbia - Center for Futures Markets.
- Thompson, Sarahelen R. & Eales, James S. & Seibold, David, 1993. "Comparison Of Liquidity Costs Between The Kansas City And Chicago Wheat Futures Contracts," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 18(02), December.
- McInish, Thomas H & Wood, Robert A, 1992. " An Analysis of Intraday Patterns in Bid/Ask Spreads for NYSE Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 753-64, June.
- Ashley, R & Granger, C W J & Schmalensee, R, 1980. "Advertising and Aggregate Consumption: An Analysis of Causality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1149-67, July.
- ap Gwilym, Owain & Thomas, Stephen, 2002. "An empirical comparison of quoted and implied bid-ask spreads on futures contracts," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 81-99, February.
- Bruce Mizrach & Yoichi Otsubo, 2010.
"The Market Microstructure of the European Climate Exchange,"
Departmental Working Papers
201005, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Mizrach, Bruce & Otsubo, Yoichi, 2014. "The market microstructure of the European climate exchange," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 107-116.
- Yoichi Otsubo & Bruce Mizrach, 2012. "The Market Microstructure of the European Climate Exchange," LSF Research Working Paper Series 12-7, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Janzen, Joseph P. & Carter, Colin A. & Smith, Aaron D., 2012.
"The Quality of Price Discovery and the Transition to Electronic Trade: The Case of Cotton Futures,"
2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington
124994, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Janzen, Joseph P. & Smith, Aaron D. & Carter, Colin A., 2012. "The Quality of Price Discovery and the Transition to Electronic Trade: The Case of Cotton Futures," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 125024, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Frank, Julieta & Garcia, Philip, 2009.
"Bid-Ask Spreads, Volume, and Volatility: Evidence from Livestock Markets,"
2009 Annual Meeting, July 26-28, 2009, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
49575, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Julieta Frank & Philip Garcia, 2010. "Bid-Ask Spreads, Volume, and Volatility: Evidence from Livestock Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(1), pages 209-225.
- Shah, Samarth & Brorsen, B. Wade & Anderson, Kim B., 2012. "Effective Bid-Ask Spreads in Futures versus Futures Options," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(3), December.
- Timotheos Angelidis & Alexandros Benos, 2009.
"The Components of the Bid-Ask Spread: the Case of the Athens Stock Exchange,"
European Financial Management,
European Financial Management Association, vol. 15(1), pages 112-144.
- Timotheos Angelidis & Alexandros Benos, . "The Components of the Bid-Ask Spread: The case of the Athens Stock Exchange," Working Papers 0615, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.