Statistically significant forecasting improvements: how much out-of-sample data is likely necessary?
AbstractNo abstract is available for this item.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Forecasting.
Volume (Year): 19 (2003)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijforecast
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- West, Kenneth D & McCracken, Michael W, 1998.
"Regression-Based Tests of Predictive Ability,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 817-40, November.
- Kenneth D. West, 1994.
"Asymptotic Inference About Predictive Ability,"
- Mc Cracken, Michael W., 2000. "Robust out-of-sample inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 195-223, December.
- Norman R. Swanson, 2000. "An Out of Sample Test for Granger Causality," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0362, Econometric Society.
- Francis X. Diebold & Robert S. Mariano, 1994.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0169, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 1995. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(3), pages 253-63, July.
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002. "Comparing Predictive Accuracy," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- James H. Stock & Mark W. Watson, 1999.
NBER Working Papers
7023, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mizrach, Bruce, 1992. "The distribution of the Theil U-statistic in bivariate normal populations," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 163-167, February.
- Ashley, R & Granger, C W J & Schmalensee, R, 1980. "Advertising and Aggregate Consumption: An Analysis of Causality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1149-67, July.
- Ashley, Richard, 1981. "Inflation and the Distribution of Price Changes across Markets: A Causal Analysis," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 19(4), pages 650-60, October.
- Ashley, Richard, 1998. "A new technique for postsample model selection and validation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 647-665, May.
- Yelland, Phillip M., 2010. "Bayesian forecasting of parts demand," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 374-396, April.
- Evelyn V. Colino & Scott H. Irwin, 2010.
"Outlook vs. Futures: Three Decades of Evidence in Hog and Cattle Markets,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(1), pages 1-15.
- Colino, Evelyn V. & Irwin, Scott H., 2007. "Outlook vs. Futures: Three Decades of Evidence in Hog and Cattle Markets," 2007 Conference, April 16-17, 2007, Chicago, Illinois 37577, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Knetsch, Thomas A., 2004.
"Evaluating the German Inventory Cycle Using Data from the Ifo Business Survey,"
Discussion Paper Series 1: Economic Studies
2004,10, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Thomas A. Knetsch, 2004. "Evaluating the German Inventory Cycle – Using Data from the Ifo Business Survey," CESifo Working Paper Series 1202, CESifo Group Munich.
- Moser, Gabriel & Rumler, Fabio & Scharler, Johann, 2007.
"Forecasting Austrian inflation,"
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 470-480, May.
- Hilde Bjørnland & Leif Brubakk & Anne Jore, 2008.
"Forecasting inflation with an uncertain output gap,"
Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 413-436, November.
- Hilde C. Bjørnland & Leif Brubakk & Anne Sofie Jore, 2006. "Forecasting inflation with an uncertain output gap," Working Paper 2006/02, Norges Bank.
- Bjørnland, Hilde C. & Brubakk, Leif & Jore, Anne Sofie, 2006. "Forecasting inflation with an uncertain output gap," Memorandum 11/2006, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- BRATU SIMIONESCU, Mihaela, 2012. "Two Quantitative Forecasting Methods For Macroeconomic Indicators In Czech Republic," Annals of Spiru Haret University, Economic Series, Universitatea Spiru Haret, vol. 3(1), pages 71-87.
- Hilde C. Bjørnland & Karsten R. Gerdrup & Anne Sofie Jore & Leif Anders Thorsrud & Christie Smith, 2010.
"Does forecast combination improve Norges Bank inflation forecasts?,"
0002, Centre for Applied Macro- and Petroleum economics (CAMP), BI Norwegian Business School.
- Hilde C. Bjørnland & Karsten Gerdrup & Anne Sofie Jore & Christie Smith & Leif Anders Thorsrud, 2012. "Does Forecast Combination Improve Norges Bank Inflation Forecasts?," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 74(2), pages 163-179, 04.
- Hilde C. Bjørnland & Karsten Gerdrup & Anne Sofie Jore & Christie Smith & Leif Anders Thorsrud, 2009. "Does forecast combination improve Norges Bank inflation forecasts?," Working Paper 2009/01, Norges Bank.
- Richard Ashley, 2010.
"On the Granger Causality between Median Inflation and Price Dispersion,"
e07-24, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Richard Ashley & Haichun Ye, 2012. "On the Granger causality between median inflation and price dispersion," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(32), pages 4221-4238, November.
- Sanders, Dwight R. & Manfredo, Mark R., 2004. "Predicting Pork Supplies: An Application of Multiple Forecast Encompassing," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 36(03), December.
- Jaqueson K. Galimberti & Sergio da Silva, 2012. "An empirical case against the use of genetic-based learning classifier systems as forecasting devices," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(1), pages 354-369.
- Colino, Evelyn V. & Irwin, Scott H. & Garcia, Philip, 2009. "Do Composite Procedures Really Improve the Accuracy of Outlook Forecasts?," 2009 Conference, April 20-21, 2009, St. Louis, Missouri 53052, NCCC-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
- Manfredo, Mark R. & Sanders, Dwight R., 2004. "Forecast Encompassing And Futures Market Efficiency: The Case Of Milk Futures," 2004 Annual meeting, August 1-4, Denver, CO 20267, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Mihaela Bratu, 2012. "A Strategy to Improve the Survey of Professional Forecasters (SPF) Predictions Using Bias-Corrected-Accelerated (BCA) Bootstrap Forecast Intervals," International Journal of Synergy and Research, ToKnowPress, vol. 1(2), pages 45-59.
- Colino, Evelyn V. & Irwin, Scott H. & Garcia, Philip & Etienne, Xiaoli, 2012. "Composite and Outlook Forecast Accuracy," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(2), August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.