New In-Sample Prediction Errors In Time Series With Applications
AbstractThis article introduces two new types of prediction errors in time series: the filtered prediction errors and the deletion prediction errors. These two prediction errors are obtained in the same sample used for estimation, but in such a way that they share some common properties with out of sample prediction errors. It is proved that the filtered prediction errors are uncorrelated, up to terms of magnitude order O(T-2), with the in sample innovations, a property that share with the out-of-sample prediction errors. On the other hand, deletion prediction errors assume that the values to be predicted are unobserved, a property that they also share with out-of-sample prediction errors. It is shown that these prediction errors can be computed with parameters estimated by assuming innovative or additive outliers, respectively, at the points to be predicted. Then the prediction errors are obtained by running the procedure for all the points in the sample of data. Two applications of these new prediction errors are presented. The first is the estimation and comparison of the prediction mean squared errors of competing predictors. The second is the determination of the order of an ARMA model. In the two applications the proposed filtered prediction errors have some advantages over alternative existing methods..
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Estadística y Econometría in its series Statistics and Econometrics Working Papers with number ws011107.
Date of creation: Jan 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: C/ Madrid, 126 - 28903 GETAFE (MADRID)
Web page: http://www.uc3m.es/uc3m/dpto/DEE/departamento.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diebold, Francis X & Mariano, Roberto S, 2002.
"Comparing Predictive Accuracy,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 134-44, January.
- Koreisha, Sergio G & Pukkila, Tarmo, 1995. "A Comparison between Different Order-Determination Criteria for Identification of ARIMA Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 127-31, January.
- repec:att:wimass:9710 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:att:wimass:9417 is not listed on IDEAS
- Halbert White, 2000. "A Reality Check for Data Snooping," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(5), pages 1097-1126, September.
- Ashley, R & Granger, C W J & Schmalensee, R, 1980. "Advertising and Aggregate Consumption: An Analysis of Causality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(5), pages 1149-67, July.
- Kenneth D. West, 1994.
"Asymptotic Inference About Predictive Ability,"
- Todd E. Clark & Michael W. McCracken, 1999.
"Tests of equal forecast accuracy and encompassing for nested models,"
Research Working Paper
99-11, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Clark, Todd E. & McCracken, Michael W., 2001. "Tests of equal forecast accuracy and encompassing for nested models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 85-110, November.
- Todd E. Clark & Michael W. McCracken, 2000. "Tests of Equal Forecast Accuracy and Encompassing for Nested Models," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0319, Econometric Society.
- Todd E. Clark & Michael McCracken, 1999. "Tests of Equal Forecast Accuracy and Encompassing for Nested Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 1241, Society for Computational Economics.
- West, Kenneth D & McCracken, Michael W, 1998.
"Regression-Based Tests of Predictive Ability,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 817-40, November.
- Ashley, Richard, 1998. "A new technique for postsample model selection and validation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 647-665, May.
- Chong, Yock Y & Hendry, David F, 1986. "Econometric Evaluation of Linear Macro-Economic Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 671-90, August.
- John Haslett, 1999. "A Simple Derivation of Deletion Diagnostic Results for the General Linear Model with Correlated Errors," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 61(3), pages 603-609.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.