The Determinants of Farmerâ€™s Intended Behaviour Towards the Adoption of Energy Crops in Southern Spain: an Application of the Classification Tree-Method
AbstractDespite growing interest in biomass over the last number of years, bio-energy derived from biomass currently contributes to a very small share of the total Spanish energy market. How individual farmers choose to respond to the opportunities presented by these relatively novel crops has still received scarce attention. In this paper, farmersâ€™intentions towards the adoption of energy crops are analyzed. A survey of 201 farmhouseholds in Southern Spain is explored using a non-parametric approach based on classification tree algorithms. The main outcome of this analysis is that off-farm labour factor affects the adoption of energy crops on farm, together with farm specializations, size of owned land and farmerâ€™s education. While the study confirms the relevance of the main determinants available from the literature, need for further research is emphasised.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA) in its journal Bio-based and Applied Economics Journal.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (August)
Farmer behaviour; energy crops; classification tree; adoption of innovation; Crop Production/Industries; Environmental Economics and Policy; Farm Management; Institutional and Behavioral Economics; Land Economics/Use; Research and Development/Tech Change/Emerging Technologies; Resource /Energy Economics and Policy; D22; Q00; Q491;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D22 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Empirical Analysis
- Q00 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gunnar Breustedt & Jörg Müller-Schee�el & Uwe Latacz-Lohmann, 2008. "Forecasting the Adoption of GM Oilseed Rape: Evidence from a Discrete Choice Experiment in Germany," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(2), pages 237-256, 06.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge & Hendricks, Chad & Mishra, Ashok K., 2005. "Technology Adoption and Off-Farm Household Income: The Case of Herbicide-Tolerant Soybeans," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 37(03), December.
- Gallerani, Vittorio & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio & Raggi, Meri & Viaggi, Davide, 2008. "Understanding The Determinants Of Investment Reactions To Decoupling," 109th Seminar, November 20-21, 2008, Viterbo, Italy 44841, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pavel Ciaian & Maria Espinosa & Sergio Gomez y Paloma & Stephen Langrell & Kamel Louhichi & Thierry Vard & Thomas Heckelei & Paolo Sckokai & Alban Thomas, 2013.
"Farm-household investment behaviour and the CAP decoupling: Methodological issues in assessing policy impacts,"
JRC-IPTS Working Papers
JRC79969, Institute for Prospective and Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
- Viaggi, Davide & Raggi, Meri & Gomez y Paloma, Sergio, 2011. "Farm-household investment behaviour and the CAP decoupling: Methodological issues in assessing policy impacts," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 127-145, January.
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge & Beach, E. Douglas & Huang, Wen-Yuan, 1994. "The Adoption Of Ipm Techniques By Vegetable Growers In Florida, Michigan And Texas," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Sherrington, Chris & Bartley, Justin & Moran, Dominic, 2008. "Farm-level constraints on the domestic supply of perennial energy crops in the UK," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 2504-2512, July.
- Giannoccaro, Giacomo & Bartolini, Fabio & Raggi, Meri & Viaggi, Davide, 2013. "Assessing the CAP influence on European farmers’ preferences towards the adoption of renewable energy production," 2013 Second Congress, June 6-7, 2013, Parma, Italy 149914, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.