Technology Adoption and Off-Farm Household Income: The Case of Herbicide-Tolerant Soybeans
AbstractWe model the interaction of off-farm work and adoption of agricultural technologies and the impact of adopting these technologies on farm household income from on farm and off-farm sources after controlling for such interaction, and estimate the model for the case of adoption of herbicide-tolerant (HT) soybeans using a nationwide survey of soybean farms for 2000. We find that adoption of HT soybeans is positively and significantly related to off-farm household income for U.S. soybean farmers, after controlling for other factors. In addition, while on-farm household income is not significantly related to adoption, total household income increases significantly with adoption.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Southern Agricultural Economics Association in its journal Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 37 (2005)
Issue (Month): 03 (December)
agricultural household model; biotechnology; herbicide tolerant soybeans; off-farm income; technology adoption; O33; Q12;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gedikoglu, Haluk, 2013. "A Comprehensive Analysis of Adoption of Energy Crops, GM Crops and Conservation Practices," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 142928, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Oliver Musshoff & Norbert Hirschauer, 2011. "A behavioral economic analysis of bounded rationality in farm financing decisions: First empirical evidence," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 71(1), pages 62-83, May.
- Roberts, Roland K. & English, Burton C. & Gao, Qi & Larson, James A., 2006. "Simultaneous Adoption of Herbicide-Resistance and Conservation-Tillage Cotton Technologies," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(03), December.
- Joshua D. Detre & Hiroki Uematsu & Ashok K. Mishra, 2011. "The influence of GM crop adoption on the profitability of farms operated by young and beginning farmers," Agricultural Finance Review, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 71(1), pages 41-61, May.
- Gedikoglu, Haluk & McCann, Laura M.J. & Artz, Georgeanne M., 2011. "Off-Farm Employment Effects on Adoption of Nutrient Management Practices," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 40(2), August.
- Bonny, Sylvie, 2009. "Issues, impacts, and prospects of the first transgenic crops tolerant to a herbicide. The case of glyphosate-tolerant soybean in the USA," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51449, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Asfaw, Solomon & Mithofer, Dagmar & Waibel, Hermann, 2007. "What Impact Are EU Supermarket Standards Having on Developing Countries Export of High-Value Horticultural Products? Evidence from Kenya," 105th Seminar, March 8-10, 2007, Bologna, Italy 7870, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Tiffany Shih & Brian Wright, 2011.
in: Accelerating Energy Innovation: Insights from Multiple Sectors, pages 49-85
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ranjan, Ram, 2006. "Technology Adoption against Invasive Species," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21174, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Fernandez-Cornejo, Jorge & Wechsler, Seth James, 2012. "Fifteen Years Later: Examining the Adoption of Bt Corn Varieties by U.S. Farmers," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124257, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Adhikari, Arun & Mishra, Ashok K. & Chintawar, Sachin, 2009. "Adoption of Technology and Its Impact on Profitability of Young and Beginning Farmers: A Quantile Regression Approach," 2009 Annual Meeting, January 31-February 3, 2009, Atlanta, Georgia 46830, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Beach, Robert H. & Jones, Alison Snow & Tooze, Janet A., 2008. "Tobacco Farmer Interest and Success in Income Diversification," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 40(01), April.
- Subramanian, Arjunan & Qaim, Matin, 2009. "Village-wide Effects of Agricultural Biotechnology: The Case of Bt Cotton in India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 256-267, January.
- Areal, Francisco J. & Riesgo, Laura & Gomez-Barbero, Manuel & Rodriguez-Cerezo, Emilio, 2011. "Adoption of GMHT Crops: Coexistence Policy Consequences in the European Union," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114227, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Musser, Wesley N. & Lambert, Dayton M. & Daberkow, Stan G., 2006. "Factors Affecting Direct and Indirect Energy Use in U.S. Corn Production," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21063, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Sylvie Bonny, 2011. "Herbicide-tolerant Transgenic Soybean over 15 Years of Cultivation: Pesticide Use, Weed Resistance, and Some Economic Issues. The Case of the USA," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 3(9), pages 1302-1322, August.
- Giannoccaro, Giacomo & Berbel, Julio, 2012. "The Determinants of Farmerâ€™s Intended Behaviour Towards the Adoption of Energy Crops in Southern Spain: an Application of the Classification Tree-Method," Bio-based and Applied Economics Journal, Italian Association of Agricultural and Applied Economics (AIEAA), issue 2, August.
- Roberts, Roland K. & English, Burton C. & Gao, Qi & Larson, James A., 2006. "Adoption of No-Tillage Practices, Other Conservation-Tillage Practices and Herbicide-Resistant Cotton Seed, and Their Synergistic Environmental Impacts," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21304, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Johansson, Robert C. & Kara, Erdal & Ribaudo, Marc, 2006. "On how environmental stringency influences BMP adoption," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21207, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.