Time-Consistent Private Supplie of Outside Paper Money
This paper considers a monopolist’s supply of outside paper money in a random-matching model with divisible money and divisible goods. When binding supply announcements are feasible, the revenue-maximizing policy is characterized by an initial period where the monopolist initiates a currency reform which destroys the value of any old currency, and then issues new money, which the issuer taxes thereafter with a constant gross growth rate of money. It is shown that this policy is time-consistent if the trading history of the issuer is public information and if money demanders respond to the relevation of defection by playing autarky.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ritter, Joseph A, 1995.
"The Transition from Barter to Fiat Money,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 85(1), pages 134-49, March.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1991.
"A contribution to the pure theory of money,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 215-235, April.
- Ricardo de O. Cavalcanti & Andres Erosa & Ted Temzelides, 1999.
"Private Money and Reserve Management in a Random-Matching Model,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 107(5), pages 929-945, October.
- Ricardo de O. Cavalcanti & Andres Erosa, 1998. "Private Money And Reserve Management In A Random Matching Model," Macroeconomics 9802010, EconWPA.
- Cavalcanti, R. & Erosa, A. & Temzelides, T., 1997. "Private Money and Reserve Management in a Random Matching Model," UWO Department of Economics Working Papers 9715, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics.
- Cavalcanti, Ricardo & Erosa, Andres & Temzelides, Ted, . "Private Money and Reserve Management in a Random Matching Model," Working Papers 97-17, University of Iowa, Department of Economics, revised Sep 1997.
- Ricardo de O. Cavalcanti & Andres Erosa & Ted Temzelides, 1999. "Private money and reserve management in a random-matching model," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 128, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ricardo Cavalcanti & Andres Erosa & Ted Temzelides, 1998. "Private Money and Reserve Management in a Random Matching Model," Macroeconomics 9803008, EconWPA.
- Ricardo Cavalcanti & Andres Erosa & Ted Temzelides, 1997. "Private money and reserve management in a random matching model," Working Papers 97-24, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Shouyong Shi, 1996.
"A Divisible Search Model of Fiat Money,"
930, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Stefania Albanesi & V. V. Chari & Lawrence J. Christiano, 2003.
"How severe is the time-inconsistency problem in monetary policy?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sum, pages 17-33.
- Stefania Albanesi & V.V. Chari & Lawrence J. Christiano, 2001. "How Severe is the Time Inconsistency Problem in Monetary Policy?," NBER Working Papers 8139, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Drew Fudenberg & Jean Tirole, 1991. "Game Theory," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262061414, June.
- Ricardo de O. Cavalcanti & Neil Wallace, 1999. "A model of private bank-note issue," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(1), pages 104-136, January.
- Klein, Benjamin, 1974. "The Competitive Supply of Money," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 6(4), pages 423-53, November.
- Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro & Wright, Randall, 1993. "A Search-Theoretic Approach to Monetary Economics," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(1), pages 63-77, March.
- Taub, Bart, 1985. "Private fiat money with many suppliers," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 195-208, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zur:iewwpx:156. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.