Financial Markets and Stochastic Growth
In this paper, we study the effect of financial markets on the investment of a two-good two-country economy with stochastic production in a dynamic framework. Each country produces and invests only one good and, therefore, makes decisions as a central planner in an optimal growth model. Trade between consumers of both countries, however, takes place on competitive (spot or financial) markets. We compare the investment-consumption decisions of both `market' models with the benchmark-case of an integrated world-equilibrium. In the log-linear case, we can uniquely characterize the state-dependent preferences of consumers that lead to dynamically efficient investment decisions. We show that the investment decisions in both `market' models are, in general, inefficient as compared with the efficient, or integrated world economy, case.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Schönberggasse 1, CH-8001 Zürich|
Phone: +41-1-634 21 37
Fax: +41-1-634 49 82
Web page: http://www.econ.uzh.ch/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manjira Datta & Leonard J. Mirman, .
"Dynamic Externalities and Policy Coordination,"
97/11, Arizona State University, Department of Economics.
- Leonard J. Mirman & Manjira Datta, 1996. "Dynamic Externalities and Policy Coordination," CRIEFF Discussion Papers 9608, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Manjira Datta & Leonard Mirman, . "Dynamic Externalities and Policy Coordination," Working Papers 2132841, Department of Economics, W. P. Carey School of Business, Arizona State University.
- Brock, William A. & Mirman, Leonard J., 1972. "Optimal economic growth and uncertainty: The discounted case," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 479-513, June.
- Fischer, Ronald D. & Mirman, Leonard J., 1992. "Strategic dynamic interaction : Fish wars," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 267-287, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zur:iewwpx:066. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marita Kieser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.