R&D incentives, compatibility and network externalities
This paper analyzes the impact of network externalities on R&D competition between an incumbent and a potential entrant. The analysis shows that the incumbent always invests more than the entrant in the development of higher quality network goods. However, the incumbent exhibits a too low level of investments, while the entrant invests too much in R&D in comparison with the social optimum. In the model entry occurs too often in equilibrium. These inefficiencies are solely due to the presence of network externalities. By choosing compatible network goods, firms do not necessarily reduce the R&D competition intensity.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Katz, Michael L & Shapiro, Carl, 1985. "Network Externalities, Competition, and Compatibility," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(3), pages 424-40, June.
- De Bijl, Paul W. J. & Goyal, Sanjeev, 1995.
"Technological change in markets with network externalities,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 307-325, September.
- de Bijl, P.W.J. & Goyal, S., 1992. "Technological change in markets with network externalities," Discussion Paper 1992-33, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- De Bijl, P.W.J. & Goyal, S., 1992. "Technological Change in Markets with Network Externalities," Papers 9233, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Joseph Farrell & Michael L. Katz, 2005. "Competition Or Predation? Consumer Coordination, Strategic Pricing And Price Floors In Network Markets," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(2), pages 203-231, 06.
- Dasgupta, Partha & Maskin, Eric, 1987. "The Simple Economics of Research Portfolios," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 97(387), pages 581-95, September.
- Stanley M. Besen & Joseph Farrell, 1994. "Choosing How to Compete: Strategies and Tactics in Standardization," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 117-131, Spring.
- Kristiansen, Eirik Gaard, 1996. "R&D in markets with network externalities," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 769-784, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:5486. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.