The Stability and Growth Pact Time to Rebuild!
Within this paper we specify a symmetric two country model for the euro area to evaluate monetary and fiscal policy interaction with decentralized fiscal authorities. Obviously this calls for rules which neatly balance the chances and perils. Thereby we show that stringent rules are a prequisitive for a harmonious functioning of a monetary union. Nevertheless given the ability of fiscal policy to effectively stabilize the economic cycle we show that the current rules in reign are of little use. We close the paper by making some suggestions along which the Stability and Growth Pact might be reformed.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (0931) 31-2901
Fax: (0931) 31-2101
Web page: http://www.vwl.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/no_cache/lehrstuehle/vwl1/home/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mayer, Eric, 2003. "The mechanics of a reasonably fitted quarterly New Keynesian macro model," W.E.P. - Würzburg Economic Papers 41, University of Würzburg, Chair for Monetary Policy and International Economics.
- Peter Bofinger & Eric Mayer & Timo Wollmersh�user, 2006.
"The BMW Model: A New Framework for Teaching Monetary Economics,"
The Journal of Economic Education,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 98-117, January.
- Bofinger, Peter & Mayer, Eric & Wollmershäuser, Timo, 2006. "The BMW model: A new framework for teaching monetary economics," Munich Reprints in Economics 20214, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Bas van Aarle & Harry Garretsen & Florence Huart, 2004. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy Rules in the EMU," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 5(4), pages 407-434, November.
- Andrew Levin & Christopher J. Erceg & Dale W. Henderson, 1999.
"Optimal Monetary Policy with Staggered Wage and Price Contracts,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1999
1151, Society for Computational Economics.
- Erceg, Christopher J. & Henderson, Dale W. & Levin, Andrew T., 2000. "Optimal monetary policy with staggered wage and price contracts," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 281-313, October.
- Christopher J. Erceg & Dale W. Henderson & Andrew T. Levin, 1999. "Optimal monetary policy with staggered wage and price contracts," International Finance Discussion Papers 640, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Charles Goodhart & Boris Hofmann, 2005.
"The IS curve and the transmission of monetary policy: is there a puzzle?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(1), pages 29-36.
- Charles Goodhart & Boris Hofmann, 2003. "The IS Curve and the Transmission of Monetary Policy: Is there a Puzzle?," FMG Special Papers sp150, Financial Markets Group.
- Goodhart, Charles A. E. & Hofmann, Boris, 2003. "The IS curve and the transmission of monetary policy: Is there a puzzle?," ZEI Working Papers B 13-2003, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Svensson, L.E.O., 1998.
"Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule,"
646, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E.O., 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule," Seminar Papers 646, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Svensson, Lars E. O., 1998. "Inflation targeting as a monetary policy rule," CFS Working Paper Series 1998/16, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Svensson, Lars E O, 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule," CEPR Discussion Papers 1998, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lars E.O. Svensson, 1998. "Inflation Targeting as a Monetary Policy Rule," NBER Working Papers 6790, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dixit, Avinash & Lambertini, Luisa, 2001. "Monetary-fiscal policy interactions and commitment versus discretion in a monetary union," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 977-987, May.
- Coenen, Gunter, 2007.
"Inflation persistence and robust monetary policy design,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 111-140, January.
- Coenen, Günter, 2003. "Inflation persistence and robust monetary policy design," Working Paper Series 0290, European Central Bank.
- Jeffery D. Amato & Thomas Laubach, 2002.
"Rule-of-thumb behaviour and monetary policy,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2002-5, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Soderlind, Paul, 1999.
"Solution and estimation of RE macromodels with optimal policy,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 813-823, April.
- Söderlind, Paul, 1998. "Solution and Estimation of RE Macromodels with Optimal Policy," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 256, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Bruneau, C. & De Bandt, O., 1999. "Fiscal Policy in the Transition to Monetary Union: a Structural VAR Model," Working papers 60, Banque de France.
- Marimon, Ramon & Scott, Andrew (ed.), 1999. "Computational Methods for the Study of Dynamic Economies," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198294979, March.
- Fagan, Gabriel & Henry, Jérôme & Mestre, Ricardo, 2001. "An area-wide model (AWM) for the euro area," Working Paper Series 0042, European Central Bank.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:wuewep:56. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.