The Effects of Remedies on Merger Activity in Oligopoly
We analyze the effects of structural remedies on merger activity in a Cournot oligopoly when the antitrust agency applies a consumer surplus standard. Remedies increase the scope for profitable and acceptable mergers, while divestitures to an entrant firm are most effective in this regard. Remedial divestitures are most attractive from a social welfare point of view, when the merging parties can extract the entire gains associated with the asset sale. We also show that the merging parties have strong incentives to search for the most efficient buyer and we identify instances so that a remedy rule induces strictly price-decreasing mergers. Finally, under incomplete information an effcient merger type is to be doomed to "overshoot" with its divestiture proposal in a pooling equilibrium which is also possible under separation.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.socialpolitik.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Spector, David, 2003.
"Horizontal mergers, entry, and efficiency defences,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 21(10), pages 1591-1600, December.
- Spector, David, 2002. "Horizontal mergers, entry, and efficiency defences," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 0206, CEPREMAP.
- Clougherty, Joseph A. & Seldeslachts, Jo, 2011.
"The Deterrence Effects of U.S. Merger Policy Instruments,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8482, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joseph A. Clougherty & Jo Seldeslachts, 2013. "The Deterrence Effects of US Merger Policy Instruments," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(5), pages 1114-1144, October.
- Joseph A. Clougherty & Jo Seldeslachts, 2011. "The Deterrence Effects of U.S. Merger Policy Instruments," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 11-095/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Perry, Martin K & Porter, Robert H, 1985. "Oligopoly and the Incentive for Horizontal Merger," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(1), pages 219-27, March.
- Thibaud Vergé, 2010.
"Horizontal Mergers, Structural Remedies, And Consumer Welfare In A Cournot Oligopoly With Assets,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 723-741, December.
- Thibaud VERGE, 2009. "Horizontal Mergers, Structural Remedies and Consumer Welfare in a Cournot Oligopoly with Assets," Working Papers 2009-10, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Farrell, Joseph & Shapiro, Carl, 1988.
"Horizontal Mergers: An Equilibrium Analysis,"
Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt0tp305nx, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Joseph Farrell & Carl Shapiro, 1990. "Asset Ownership and Market Structure in Oligopoly," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(2), pages 275-292, Summer.
- Luis M. B. Cabral, 2001.
"Horizontal Mergers With Free-Entry: Why Cost Efficiencies May Be a Weak Defense and Asset Sales a Poor Remedy,"
01-05, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Cabral, Luis M. B., 2003. "Horizontal mergers with free-entry: why cost efficiencies may be a weak defense and asset sales a poor remedy," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(5), pages 607-623, May.
- Nocke, Volker & Whinston, Michael, 2008.
"Dynamic Merger Review,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7077, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Helder Vasconcelos, 2010.
"Efficiency Gains And Structural Remedies In Merger Control,"
Journal of Industrial Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 742-766, December.
- Vasconcelos, Helder, 2007. "Efficiency Gains and Structural Remedies in Merger Control," CEPR Discussion Papers 6093, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Duso, Tomaso & Gugler, Klaus & Yurtoglu, Burcin B., 2011.
"How effective is European merger control?,"
DICE Discussion Papers
15, Düsseldorf Institute for Competition Economics (DICE), University of Düsseldorf.
- Tomaso Duso & Klaus Gugler & Burçin Yurtoglu, 2006. "How Effective is European Merger Control?," CIG Working Papers SP II 2006-12, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Duso, Thomas & Gugler, Klaus & Yurtoglu, Burcin B., 2011. "How Effective is European Merger Control?," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 354, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- Duso, Tomaso & Gugler, Klaus & Yurtoglu, Burcin B., 2006. "How Effective is European Merger Control?," Discussion Paper Series of SFB/TR 15 Governance and the Efficiency of Economic Systems 153, Free University of Berlin, Humboldt University of Berlin, University of Bonn, University of Mannheim, University of Munich.
- McAfee, R Preston & Williams, Michael A, 1992. "Horizontal Mergers and Antitrust Policy," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 181-87, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:vfsc13:79888. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.