Making water affordable to all: A typology and evaluation of options for urban water pricing
An important criterion for the design of urban water prices is the affordability of water supply for poor customers. This paper presents a typology of water pricing options which policy-makers have at their disposal in order to address affordability. A review of theoretical insights and empirical experiences reveals, however, how the real-world performance of these options depends on the characteristics of their technological and socio-economic environment. Moreover, possible trade-offs between affordability and other criteria, including efficiency, financial sustainability and administrative simplicity, are pointed out. Thereby, the paper is meant to assist policy-makers in identifying water pricing options which are appropriate for their context.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Permoserstraße 15, 04318 Leipzig|
Phone: ++49 - 0341 - 235-2771
Fax: ++49 - 0341 - 235-2825
Web page: http://www.ufz.de/index.php?en=1445
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew C. Worthington & Mark Hoffman, 2008. "An Empirical Survey Of Residential Water Demand Modelling," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(5), pages 842-871, December.
- Hajispyrou, Soteroula & Koundouri, Phoebe & Pashardes, Panos, 2002.
"Household demand and welfare: implications of water pricing in Cyprus,"
Environment and Development Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 659-685, October.
- Pashardes, Panos & Koundouri, Phoebe & Hajispyrou, Soteroula, 2002. "Household Demand and Welfare Implications of Water Pricing in Cyprus," MPRA Paper 38444, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Soteroula Hajispyrou & Phoebe Koundouri & Panos Pashardes, . "Household demand and welfare: implications of water pricing in Cyprus," DEOS Working Papers 0201, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Panos Pashardes & Phoebe Koundouri & Soteroula Hajispyrou, . "Household demand and welfare: implications of water pricing in Cyprus," DEOS Working Papers 0202, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Castro-Rodriguez, Fidel & Da-Rocha, Jose Maria & Delicado, Pedro, 2002. "Desperately Seeking Theta's: Estimating the Distribution of Consumers under Increasing Block Rates," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 29-58, July.
- AndrÈs GÛmez-Lobo & Dante Contreras, 2003. "Water Subsidy Policies: A Comparison of the Chilean and Colombian Schemes," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 17(3), pages 391-407, December.
- Bithas, Kostas, 2008. "The sustainable residential water use: Sustainability, efficiency and social equity. The European experience," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1-2), pages 221-229, December.
- Christopher Timmins, 2002. "Measuring the Dynamic Efficiency Costs of Regulators' Preferences: Municipal Water Utilities in the Arid West," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(2), pages 603-629, March.
- Regina Birner & Heidi Wittmer, 2004. "On the 'efficient boundaries of the state': the contribution of transaction-costs economics to the analysis of decentralization and devolution in natural resource management," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 22(5), pages 667-685, October.
- Maria García-valiñas, 2005. "Efficiency and Equity in Natural Resources Pricing: A Proposal for Urban Water Distribution Service," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 32(2), pages 183-204, October.
- Arjan Ruijs, 2009. "Welfare and Distribution Effects of Water Pricing Policies," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 43(2), pages 161-182, June.
- Piet Rietveld & Jan Rouwendal & Bert Zwart, 2000. "Block Rate Pricing of Water in Indonesia: An Analysis of Welfare Effects," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 73-92.
- Kristin Komives & Vivien Foster & Jonathan Halpern & Quentin Wodon & Roohi Abdullah, 2008.
"Water, Electricity, and the Poor : Who Benefits from Utility Subsidies?,"
World Bank Other Operational Studies
11745, The World Bank.
- Kristin Komives & Vivien Foster & Jonathan Halpern & Quentin Wodon, 2005. "Water, Electricity, and the Poor : Who Benefits from Utility Subsidies?," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6361, August.
- Komives, Kristin & Halpern, Jonathan & Foster, Vivien & Wodon, Quentin & Abdullah, Roohi, 2006. "The distributional incidence of residential water and electricity subsidies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3878, The World Bank.
- David Coady & Margaret Grosh & John Hoddinott, 2004. "Targeting of Transfers in Developing Countries : Review of Lessons and Experience," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 14902, August.
- Fankhauser, Samuel & Tepic, Sladjana, 2007. "Can poor consumers pay for energy and water? An affordability analysis for transition countries," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 1038-1049, February.
- Georg Meran & Christian von Hirschhausen, 2009. "Increasing Block Tariffs in the Water Sector: A Semi-Welfarist Approach," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 902, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Brown,Stephen J. & Sibley,David Sumner, 1986. "The Theory of Public Utility Pricing," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521314008, June.
- Antonio Estache & V. Foster & Q. Wodon, 2002. "Accounting for Poverty in Infrastructure Reform: Learning from Latin America's Experience," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/44108, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Dinar, A. & Subramanian, A., 1997. "Water Pricing Experiences," Papers 386, World Bank - Technical Papers.
- Whittington, Dale, 1992. "Possible Adverse Effects of Increasing Block Water Tariffs in Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 41(1), pages 75-87, October.
- McCann, Laura & Colby, Bonnie & Easter, K. William & Kasterine, Alexander & Kuperan, K.V., 2005. "Transaction cost measurement for evaluating environmental policies," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 527-542, March.
- Dale Whittington, 2006. "Pricing Water and Sanitation Services," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-2006-18, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ufzdps:102011. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.