Mitigation of foreign Direct investment risk and hedging
Instruments of risk mitigation play an important role in managing country risk within the foreign direct investment (FDI) decision. Our study assesses country risk by state-dependent preferences and introduces futures contracts as a tool of risk mitigation. We show that country risk assessments related to foreign direct investment do not matter if the multinational firm enters currency futures markets. Besides currency risk, multinationals cross-hedge country risk via the derivatives market. This may explain the empirical result, why host country risk is not a significant determinant of FDI (Bevan/Estrin 2004) together with the fact that almost all (92 %) of the world's top 500 companies enter derivatives markets for hedging purposes (ISDA 2008).
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 01062 Dresden|
Phone: ++49 351 463 2196
Fax: ++49 351 463 7739
Web page: https://tu-dresden.de/gsw/wirtschaft/?set_language=en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Froot, Kenneth A & Scharfstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1993.
" Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1629-58, December.
- Kenneth A. Froot & David S. Scharfstein & Jeremy C. Stein, 1992. "Risk Management: Coordinating Corporate Investment and Financing Policies," NBER Working Papers 4084, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wagner, W.B., 2007.
"International risk sharing and government moral hazard,"
Other publications TiSEM
eea59e30-3d51-4f71-bfb2-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Wolf Wagner, 2007. "International Risk Sharing and Government Moral Hazard," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 18(5), pages 577-598, November.
- Meyer, Jack, 1987. "Two-moment Decision Models and Expected Utility Maximization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 421-30, June.
- Hauser, Frank, 2006. "Country Risk and Foreign Direct Investments in Transition Countries," Munich Dissertations in Economics 4900, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Udo Broll & Jack E. Wahl & Wing-Keung Wong, 2005.
"Elasticity of risk aversion and international trade,"
Departmental Working Papers
wp0510, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- Broll, Udo & Wahl, Jack E. & Wong, Wing-Keung, 2006. "Elasticity of risk aversion and international trade," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 126-130, July.
- Udo Broll & Jack E. Wahl & Wing-Keung Wong, 2005. "Elasticity of risk aversion and international trade," Monash Economics Working Papers 07/05, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Sumru G. Altuğ & Fanny S. Demers & Michel Demers, 2007.
"Political Risk and Irreversible Investment,"
Koç University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
0707, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Kawai, Masahiro & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1986. "International trade with forward-futures markets under exchange rate and price uncertainty," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 83-98, February.
- Barelli, Paulo & Pessoa, Samuel de Abreu, 2003. "Inada conditions imply that production function must be asymptotically Cobb-Douglas," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 477, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Broll, Udo & Wong, Kit Pong, 2002. "Optimal full-hedging under state-dependent preferences," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(5), pages 937-943.
- Karni, Edi, 1983. "Risk Aversion for State-Dependent Utility Functions: Measurement and Applications," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 24(3), pages 637-47, October.
- Bevan, Alan A. & Estrin, Saul, 2004. "The determinants of foreign direct investment into European transition economies," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 775-787, December.
- Barelli, Paulo & de Abreu Pessoa, Samuel, 2003. "Inada conditions imply that production function must be asymptotically Cobb-Douglas," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(3), pages 361-363, December.
- Broll, Udo & Eckwert, Bernhard, 1998. "Export and Hedging Decision with State-Dependent Utility," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 247-253.
- Christian Schmidt & Udo Broll, 2009. "Real exchange-rate uncertainty and US foreign direct investment: an empirical analysis," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 145(3), pages 513-530, October.
- Broll, Udo & Wahl, Jack E, 1993. "Multinational Firm, Foreign Production, and Hedging Behaviour," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 40(1), pages 116-23, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tuddps:1309. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.