When to regulate airports: A simple rule
Landing fees at airports are regulated almost all over the world since airports are assumed to abuse their market power. We find that monopolistic airports have an incentive to restrain landing fees when they generate additional non-aviation revenues and that the optimal landing fee decreases in the degree of complementarity of aviation and non-aviation. Furthermore, we show that monopolistic airports will not have an incentive to abuse their market power anymore so that a price regulation becomes inappropriate as soon as non-aviation revenues increase above 50% of all airport revenues.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Pockelsstr. 14, D-38106 Braunschweig|
Web page: https://www.tu-braunschweig.de/vwl
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gürtler, Marc & Sieg, Gernot, 2006.
"Crunch time: The optimal policy to avoid the "Announcement Effect" when terminating a subsidy,"
FW24V2, Technische Universität Braunschweig, Institute of Finance.
- Marc Gürtler & Gernot Sieg, 2010. "Crunch Time: A Policy to Avoid the 'Announcement Effect' when Terminating a Subsidy," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 11, pages 25-36, 02.
- Gürtler, Marc & Sieg, Gernot, 2008. "Crunch time: A policy to avoid the announcement effect when terminating a subsidy," Economics Department Working Paper Series 1, Technische Universität Braunschweig, Economics Department.
- Sieg Gernot & Stegemann Ulrike, 2010.
"Strategic Debt Management within the Stability and Growth Pact,"
Review of Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 61(3), pages 225-240, December.
- Sieg, Gernot & Stegemann, Ulrike, 2009. "Strategic debt management within the stability and growth pact," Economics Department Working Paper Series 5, Technische Universität Braunschweig, Economics Department.
- Sieg, Gernot, 2010.
"Grandfather rights in the market for airport slots,"
Transportation Research Part B: Methodological,
Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 29-37, January.
- Sieg, Gernot, 2009. "Grandfather rights in the market for airport slots," Economics Department Working Paper Series 4, Technische Universität Braunschweig, Economics Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:tbswps:6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.