Rational choice of itemized deductions
This paper analyzes the effect of standard deductions on itemized deductions. Using German income tax data, it shows that the distribution of itemized deductions above the level of the standard deduction is positively skewed, with the mode lying somewhat above the standard deduction. This pattern of claimed tax allowable expenses could be easily explained by the rational minimization of tax payments in excess of the costs of reporting these deductions. An alternative explanation, namely tax aversion, is unable to replicate this pattern, as tax aversion would predict bunching of taxpayers directly above the lump-sum deduction.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.iwqw.rw.uni-erlangen.de/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mookherjee, Dilip & Png, Ivan, 1989. "Optimal Auditing, Insurance, and Redistribution," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(2), pages 399-415, May.
- Kirchler, Erich & Maciejovsky, Boris & Schneider, Friedrich, 2001.
"Everyday representations of tax avoidance, tax evasion, and tax flight: Do legal differences matter?,"
SFB 373 Discussion Papers
2001,43, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Kirchler, Erich & Maciejovsky, Boris & Schneider, Friedrich, 2003. "Everyday representations of tax avoidance, tax evasion, and tax flight: Do legal differences matter?," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 535-553, August.
- Martin Besfamille & Cecilia Parlatore Siritto, 2009.
"Modernization of Tax Administrations and Optimal Fiscal Policies,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 11(6), pages 897-926, December.
- Martin Besfamille & Cecilia Parlatore Siritto, 2009. "Modernization of Tax Administrations and Optimal Fiscal Policies," Department of Economics Working Papers 2009-07, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:iwqwdp:012013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.