A case where Barro expectations are not rational
The paper generalizes Feldstein's criticism (Perceived Wealth in Bonds and Social Security, 1976) of Barro's analysis (Are Government Bonds Real Net Wealth?, 1974) for the case that the interest rate exceeds the growth rate. This is done by considering an economy in steady state where all agents hold Barro expectations: they believe that government debt must necessarily be repaid and therefore leave the present value of their income streams unchanged. In this scenario, a change in the mode of taxation affects the present value of disposable income in the private sector. This violates their Barro expectations.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kiellinie 66, D-24105 Kiel|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814528
Web page: http://www.economics-ejournal.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Feldstein, Martin S, 1976. "Perceived Wealth in Bonds and Social Security: A Comment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(2), pages 331-36, April.
- Barro, Robert J, 1974.
"Are Government Bonds Net Wealth?,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(6), pages 1095-1117, Nov.-Dec..
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 2008.
"Public Debt as Private Wealth,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
2143, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 2012.
"A case where Barro expectations are not rational,"
Economics Discussion Papers
2012-13, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 2012. "Unexpected Consequences of Ricardian Expectations," Discussion Papers in Economics 13794, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Schlicht, Ekkehart, 2012. "A Case Where Barro Expectations Are Not Rational," Discussion Papers in Economics 12715, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Ekkehart Schlicht, 2006.
"Public Debt As Private Wealth: Some Equilibrium Considerations,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(4), pages 494-520, November.
- Barro, Robert J., 1979.
"On the Determination of the Public Debt,"
3451400, Harvard University Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:ifwedp:201213. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.