Supply response on the Hungarian pork meat sector
Despite of the increasing production and consumption of white meats, pig breeding is still one of the most important animal husbandry sectors Worldwide and in the European Union as well. In Hungary over the past decades, the pig sector has undergone significant changes. The livestock has sharply decreased from more than 8.5 million in 1989 to 3.3 million in present. After the post 1989 increase of herd size bred in family farms, their share diminished, at present two-thirds of output is produced by corporate farms. It appears that small scale farming has major difficulties, they must consider all cost reducing alternatives to improve their competitiveness. With pressure on purchase prices from the downstream market levels, and considering that fodder represents about 50-60% within total production costs, in this paper we analyse the influence of these two factors upon pig breeding farmers' supply response. We employ Vector Error Correction Model specification, following the theoretical model of Hallam and Zanoli, 1993. Estimated long-run elasticities highlight farmers' reliance on live pigs for slaughter purchase price and soya fodder price.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (+49) (0) 345 / 29 28 0
Fax: (+49) (0) 345 / 29 28 199
Web page: http://www.iamo.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Hallam, David & Zanoli, Raffaele, 1993. "Error Correction Models and Agricultural Supply Response," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 20(2), pages 151-66.
- Matthew T. Holt & Stanley R. Johnson, 1988.
"Supply Dynamics in the U.S. Hog Industry,"
Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie,
Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 36(2), pages 313-335, 07.
- Matthew T. Holt & Stanley R. Johnson, 1986. "Supply Dynamics in the U.S. Hog Industry," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 86-wp12, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Matthew T. Holt & Stanley R. Johnson, 1986. "Supply Dynamics in the U.S. Hog Industry," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 86-wp12, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:iamo10:52698. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.