Turkish-German innovation networks in the European research landscape
Research networks are regarded as channels for knowledge creation and diffusion and are thus essential for the development and integration of economies. In this paper we have a look at the long Turkish-German-migration history which should offer opportunities for both countries to benefit from brain circulation, transnational entrepreneurs and research networks. The present paper examines the structure of research networks of the European Framework Programmes (FP) that are established by joint participation of organizations in research projects, in particular German research organizations with Turkish participants in FP5 to FP7 in the knowledge-intensive technology fields ICT, Biotechnology and Nanoscience. A better understanding of these networks allows for improving the design of research policies at national levels as well as at the EU level. The empirical examination of network properties reveals that the diverse networks show a range of similarities in the three technology fields in each FP such as the small-world properties. Moreover, our findings show that German actors play a specific role in most examined research networks with Turkish participation.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: D-70593 Stuttgart|
Web page: http://www.fzid.uni-hohenheim.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roediger-Schluga, Thomas & Barber, Michael J., 2007. "R&D collaboration networks in the European FrameworkProgrammes: Data processing, network construction and selected results," MERIT Working Papers 032, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Hartmann, Dominik & Kaiser, Micha, 2012. "Statistischer Überblick der türkischen Migration in Baden-Württemberg und Deutschland," FZID Discussion Papers 53-2012, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Roediger-Schluga, Thomas & Barber, Michael J., 2006. "The structure of R&D collaboration networks in the European Framework Programmes," MERIT Working Papers 036, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Hartmann, Dominik & Pyka, Andreas & Aydin, Seda & Klauß, Lena & Stahl, Fabian & Santircioglu, Ali & Oberegelsbacher, Silvia & Rashidi, Sheida & Onan, Gaye & Erginkoç, Suna, 2012. "Identifizierung und Analyse deutsch-türkischer Innovationsnetzwerke: Erste Ergebnisse des TGIN-Projektes," FZID Discussion Papers 54-2012, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Horst Hanusch & Andreas Pyka, 2007.
"Principles of Neo-Schumpeterian Economics,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 31(2), pages 275-289, March.
- Horst Hanusch & Andreas Pyka, 2005. "Principles of Neo-Schumpeterian Economics," Discussion Paper Series 278, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Meyborg, Mirja, 2011. "The impact of West-German universities on regional innovation activities: A social network analysis," Working Paper Series in Economics 35, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Department of Economics and Business Engineering.
- Barbara Heller-Schuh & Michael Barber & Luisa Maria Henriques & Manfred Paier & Dimitrios Pontikakis & Thomas Scherngell & Giuseppe Veltri & Matthias Weber, 2011. "Analysis of Networks in European Framework Programmes (1984-2006)," JRC Working Papers JRC63467, Joint Research Centre (Seville site).
- Krogmann, Yin & Schwalbe, Ulrich, 2011. "Inter-firm R&D networks in the global pharmaceutical biotechnology industry during 1985 - 1998: A conceptual and empirical analysis," FZID Discussion Papers 38-2011, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Schön, Benjamin & Pyka, Andreas, 2012. "A taxonomy of innovation networks," FZID Discussion Papers 42-2012, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Barabási, A.L & Jeong, H & Néda, Z & Ravasz, E & Schubert, A & Vicsek, T, 2002. "Evolution of the social network of scientific collaborations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 311(3), pages 590-614. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:fziddp:792013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.