Spatial analysis of the tourism supply, in Portugal, at NUTs III level
The tourism in Portugal has been an important contribution to the economic development of the country, namely in zones where is difficult to implement others activities, specifically the manufacturing. The objective of this work is to analyze, for the period 2002-2011, with spatial econometric techniques (using the GeoDa informatics program), the statistic data, available in the Statistics Portugal (INE), of some variables related with the tourism in the NUTs III of Portugal Continental, namely: capacity (N.º) in accommodation establishments; capacity in accommodation establishments per 1000 inhabitants (N.º); nights (N.º) in accommodation establishments; nights in accommodation establishments per 100 inhabitants (N.º); accommodation establishments (N.º); average stay (N.º) in accommodation establishments; customers (N.º) in accommodation establishments; proportion of foreign customers (%); and net rate of bed occupancy (%) in accommodation establishments. The first, third, fifth, sixth, seventh and ninth variables were further disaggregated for the several forms of accommodation establishments, as following: all accommodation establishments; hotels; pensions; guesthouses; inns; motels; hotels-apartments; holiday villages; and tourist apartments. The data was used in average and the econometric analyses were cross section. There are some signs of spatial autocorrelation in some variables and some forms of accommodation establishments.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Düsternbrooker Weg 120, 24105 Kiel / Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg|
Phone: +49 431 8814-1
Fax: +49 431 8814-520
Web page: http://www.econstor.eu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tamara de la Mata & Carlos Llano-Verduras, 2012. "Spatial pattern and domestic tourism: An econometric analysis using inter-regional monetary flows by type of journey," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(2), pages 437-470, 06.
- Ana C. M. Daniel & Paulo M.M. Rodrigues, 2010. "Volatility and Seasonality of Tourism Demand in Portugal," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Adriana Corfu & Zélia Breda & Carlos Costa, 2006. "Eu Integration And Tourism Destination Management: The Case Of Portugal," The AMFITEATRU ECONOMIC journal, Academy of Economic Studies - Bucharest, Romania, vol. 8(20), pages 20-29, June.
- Nuno Carlos LEITÃO, 2010. "Does Trade Help to Explain Tourism Demand? The Case of Portugal," Theoretical and Applied Economics, Asociatia Generala a Economistilor din Romania - AGER, vol. 3(3(544)), pages 63-74, March.
- Yaprak Gülcan & Yeşim Kuştepeli & Sedef Akgüngör, 2009. "Public Policies and Development of the Tourism Industry in the Aegean Region," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(10), pages 1509-1523, February.
- Jorge Andraz & Paulo Rodrigues, 2010. "Events that marked tourism in Portugal," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(8), pages 761-766.
- Odília A. M. Meneses & Aurora A C Teixeira, 2011. "The innovative behaviour of tourism firms," Economics and Management Research Projects: An International Journal, Open Access International Journals, vol. 1(1), pages 25-35, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:esprep:71762. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.