Hedging price risk when payment dates are uncertain
This paper studies the hedging of price risk when payment dates are uncertain, a problem that frequently occurs in practice. It derives and establishes the variance minimizing dynamic hedging strategy, using forward contracts with different times to maturity. The resulting strategy fully hedges the expected price exposure for each possible payment date and is, therefore, easy to implement. An empirical study compares the performance of the variance minimizing strategy with heuristic alternatives, based on data from the crude oil market and the foreign exchange market. Our analysis shows that the variance minimizing strategy clearly outperforms the alternatives for the crude oil market. For the foreign exchange market, a simple static hedging strategy is sufficient.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0221 / 470 5607
Fax: 0221 / 470 5179
Web page: http://cfr-cologne.de/english/version06/html/home.php
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rolfo, Jacques, 1980. "Optimal Hedging under Price and Quantity Uncertainty: The Case of a Cocoa Producer," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(1), pages 100-116, February.
- Richard Roll & Shu Yan, 2000. "An explanation of the forward premium 'puzzle'," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 6(2), pages 121-148.
- Loderer, Claudio & Pichler, Karl, 2000. "Firms, do you know your currency risk exposure? Survey results," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 7(3-4), pages 317-344, November.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1980. " Hedging and Joint Production: Theory and Illustrations," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 487-98, May.
- Jaime Casassus & Pierre Collin-Dufresne, 2005. "Stochastic Convenience Yield Implied from Commodity Futures and Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(5), pages 2283-2331, October.
- Eduardo Schwartz & James E. Smith, 2000. "Short-Term Variations and Long-Term Dynamics in Commodity Prices," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(7), pages 893-911, July.
- Adam, Tim R. & Fernando, Chitru S., 2006. "Hedging, speculation, and shareholder value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 283-309, August.
- Christopher L. Culp & Merton H. Miller, 1995. "Metallgesellschaft And The Economics Of Synthetic Storage," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 7(4), pages 62-76.
- Geert Bekaert & Robert J. Hodrick, 2000.
"Expectations Hypotheses Tests,"
NBER Working Papers
7609, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alex Maynard & Peter C. B. Phillips, 2001. "Rethinking an old empirical puzzle: econometric evidence on the forward discount anomaly," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(6), pages 671-708.
- Benninga, Simon & Eldor, Rafael & Zilcha, Itzhak, 1985. "Optimal international hedging in commodity and currency forward markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 537-552, December.
- Suleyman Basak & Georgy Chabakauri, 2010.
"Dynamic Mean-Variance Asset Allocation,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(8), pages 2970-3016, August.
- Eaker, Mark R. & Grant, Dwight, 1985. "Optimal hedging of uncertain and long-term foreign exchange exposure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 221-231, June.
- Gregory W. Brown & Peter R. Crabb & David Haushalter, 2006. "Are Firms Successful at Selective Hedging?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(6), pages 2925-2950, November.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1981. "Cross Hedging," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1182-96, December.
- DeMarzo, Peter M & Duffie, Darrell, 1995. "Corporate Incentives for Hedging and Hedge Accounting," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(3), pages 743-71.
- Briys, Eric & Crouhy, Michel & Schlesinger, Harris, 1993. "Optimal hedging in a futures market with background noise and basis risk," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(5), pages 949-960, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cfrwps:0714. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.