On the Interpretation of Price Adjustments and Demand in Asset Pricing Models with Mean-Variance Optimization
With reference to the class of asset pricing models with a market maker and mean-variance optimization of speculative agents, the note seeks to clarify the concepts behind the price adjustment rule, which are often treated somewhat carelessly in this literature. Calling attention to the distinction between the agents? desired holding of the risky asset and the desired change in their position, the following conclusion is drawn. If market prices are said to adjust in the direction of excess demand, then the story of the maximization of expected wealth should be dropped. On the other hand, the story could be perfectly maintained if the market maker were assumed to adjust prices inversely to his accumulated inventory.
|Date of creation:||2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: D-24098 Kiel,Wilhelm-Seelig-Platz 1|
Phone: 0431-880 3282
Fax: 0431-880 3150
Web page: http://www.vwl.uni-kiel.de/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Reiner Franke & Toichiro Asada, 2008. "Incorporating positions into asset pricing models with order-based strategies," Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination, Springer;Society for Economic Science with Heterogeneous Interacting Agents, vol. 3(2), pages 201-227, December.
- Bottazzi, Giulio & Dosi, Giovanni & Rebesco, Igor, 2005. "Institutional architectures and behavioral ecologies in the dynamics of financial markets," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 197-228, February.
- Farmer, J. Doyne & Joshi, Shareen, 2002.
"The price dynamics of common trading strategies,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 149-171, October.
- J. Doyne Farmer & Shareen Joshi, 2000. "The Price Dynamics of Common Trading Strategies," Working Papers 00-12-069, Santa Fe Institute.
- J. Doyne Farmer & Shareen Joshi, 2000. "The price dynamics of common trading strategies," Papers cond-mat/0012419, arXiv.org.
- He, Xue-Zhong & Li, Youwei, 2007. "Power-law behaviour, heterogeneity, and trend chasing," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 3396-3426, October. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)