The Existence and Effectiveness of Price Support Activities in Germany: A Note
The overallotment or greenshoe option has become very popular in the German IPO market since its introduction in 1995 and is nowadays an important tool to stabilize IPOs or to issue additional shares in the case of excess demand. Besides providing evidence for the prevalence of price support activities by the underwriter we show that the greenshoe option which seems to be used to support overpriced offerings in the secondary market is not very effective in propping up aftermarket prices. Additionally, the market seems to decide quite early which firms are ?losers? and which are ?winners? in terms of stock market performance.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R, 1995. " The New Issues Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 23-51, March.
- Daniel Asquith & Jonathan D. Jones & Robert Kieschnick, 1998. "Evidence on Price Stabilization and Underpricing in Early IPO Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1759-1773, October.
- Carter, Richard B & Manaster, Steven, 1990. " Initial Public Offerings and Underwriter Reputation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 1045-1067, September.
- Ruud, Judith S., 1993. "Underwriter price support and the IPO underpricing puzzle," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 135-151, October.
- Hanley, Kathleen Weiss, 1993. "The underpricing of initial public offerings and the partial adjustment phenomenon," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 231-250, October.
- Hegde, Shantaram P. & Miller, Robert E., 1989. "Market-Making in Initial Public Offerings of Common Stocks:An Empirical Analysis," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(01), pages 75-90, March.
- Reena Aggarwal, 2000. "Stabilization Activities by Underwriters after Initial Public Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(3), pages 1075-1103, 06.
- Welch, Ivo, 1992. " Sequential Sales, Learning, and Cascades," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 695-732, June.
- Schultz, Paul H. & Zaman, Mir A., 1994. "Aftermarket support and underpricing of initial public offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 199-219, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:bamfin:30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.