Prioritisation of patients on waiting lists: a community workshop approach
The management of health care systems is facing the problem of long waiting lists in many of the services offered. The use of waiting time as a device for rationing the allocation of medical care does not seem to be a fair and just criterion. The main aim of this paper is the development of a weighting system, based on the patient’s differential characteristics, for prioritising access to the polysomnograph test for sufferers of apnea. To this end, a single Choice Experiment (CE) was applied to a representative sample of the population of Zaragoza (Spain) and a combined approach of CE and Citizens’ Juries (CJ) to a group of selected participants. Although CE and CJ have been widely applied to different health economics issues, the joint model proposed for the development of a weighting system is, to the best of our knowledge, new and original. The results of our work suggest an enhanced model which responds to many of the criticisms raised in the relevant literature.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Gran via, 2 50005 Zaragoza|
Fax: 976 76 19 96
Web page: http://www.dteconz.unizar.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wendy Kenyon & Nick Hanley & Ceara Nevin, 2001.
"Citizens' Juries: An Aid to Environmental Valuation?,"
Environment and Planning C,
, vol. 19(4), pages 557-566, August.
- Wendy Kenyon & Nick Hanley & Ceara Nevin, 2001. "Citizens' juries: an aid to environmental valuation?," Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 19(4), pages 557-566, August.
- Carol Propper, 1995. "The Disutility of Time Spent on the United Kingdom's National Health Service Waiting Lists," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 30(4), pages 677-700.
- Colombo, Sergio & Calatrava-Requena, Javier & Conzalex-Roa, M.C., 2005. "Testing Choice Experiment for Benefit Transfer," 2005 International Congress, August 23-27, 2005, Copenhagen, Denmark 24747, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Rodríguez-Míguez, Eva & Herrero, Carmen & Pinto-Prades, José Luis, 2004. "Using a point system in the management of waiting lists: the case of cataracts," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 585-594, August.
- Carmen Herrero Blanco & Eva Rodríguez Mínguez & José Luis Pinto, 2001. "Using A Point System In The Management Of Waiting Lists: The Case Of Cataracts," Working Papers. Serie AD 2001-16, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Eva Rodríguez-Míguez & Carmen Herrero & José Luis Pinto-Prades, 2001. "Using a point system in the management of waiting lists: the case of cataracts," Working Papers 0107, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- Gyrd-Hansen, Dorte, 2004. "Investigating the social value of health changes," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 1101-1116, November.
- Dolan, Paul & Tsuchiya, Aki, 2005. "Health priorities and public preferences: the relative importance of past health experience and future health prospects," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 703-714, July.
- Jordan Louviere, 2006. "What You Don’t Know Might Hurt You: Some Unresolved Issues in the Design and Analysis of Discrete Choice Experiments," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 34(1), pages 173-188, 05. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zar:wpaper:dt2006-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vicente Pinilla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.