Home Equity Insurance: A Pilot Project
Home equity is the single largest component of household wealth for the majority of American households. Yet, there is virtually no way for the average family to insure itself against drops in home value and the ensuing destructive financial loss. Much of U.S. housing policy has focused on helping them against the risk that home ownership entails. In this paper, we document the development and implementation of a home equity insurance program launched in 2002 in Syracuse, New York. The range of issues arising from the practical implementation of a home equity insurance program, as well as the institutional challenges offer useful data for further extensions of the program. Highlights of the outcome, to date, of the pilot program include the finding that implementation of the program was feasible on the local level, that customers understand and wanted to take part, and that clean data on housing transactions is a vital component of the future success and expansion of the project.
|Date of creation:||28 May 2003|
|Date of revision:||23 Jan 2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://icf.som.yale.edu/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Matityahu Marcus & Michael K. Taussig, 1970. "A Proposal for Government Insurance of Home Values against Locational Risks," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 46(4), pages 404-413.
- Robert J. Shiller & Allan N. Weiss, 2000.
"Moral Hazard in Home Equity Conversion,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 28(1), pages 1-31.
- Robert J. Shiller & Allan N. Weiss, 1998. "Moral Hazard in Home Equity Conversion," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1177, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Robert J. Shiller & Allan N. Weiss, 1998. "Moral Hazard in Home Equity Conversion," NBER Working Papers 6552, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goetzmann, William Nelson, 1993.
"The Single Family Home in the Investment Portfolio,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 201-222, May.
- Goetzmann, W.N., 1990. "The Single Family Home In The Investment Portfolio," Papers fb-_90-15, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Marjorie Flavin & Takashi Yamashita, 1998. "Owner-Occupied Housing and the Composition of the Household Portfolio Over the Life-Cycle," NBER Working Papers 6389, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ysm:somwrk:ysm372. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.