Valuation of Put Options on Leveraged Equity
This paper presents new closed form solutions for the valuation of European put options and of "down-an-in" barrier options written on leveraged equity. Unlike in past literature (Toft and Prucyk, 1997) and in keeping with empirical evidence, the model allows equity to retain value even after the firm's default and reorganisation. This stylised fact can significantly alter the valuation of equity put and "down-and-in" options as bankruptcy costs, bargaining power of equity holders, debt maturity and other firm parameters change. The value of "in-the-money" puts often decreases in the firm's assets volatility. The model can produce a variety of realistic implied equity volatility "skews".
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, United Kingdom|
Phone: (0)1904 323776
Fax: (0)1904 323759
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Jan Ericsson & Joel Reneby, 2003.
"Stock options as barrier contingent claims,"
Applied Mathematical Finance,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(2), pages 121-147.
- Ericsson, Jan & Reneby, Joel, 1996. "Stock Options as Barrier Contingent Claims," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 137, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Feb 2002.
- Leland, Hayne E, 1994.
" Corporate Debt Value, Bond Covenants, and Optimal Capital Structure,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1213-52, September.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1994. "Corporate Debt Value, Bond Covenants, and Optimal Capital Structure," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-233, University of California at Berkeley.
- Anderson, Ronald W. & Sundaresan, Suresh & Tychon, Pierre, 1996. "Strategic analysis of contingent claims," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 871-881, April.
- Reneby, Joel & Ericsson, Jan, 2001. "The Valuation of Corporate Liabilities: Theory and Tests," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 445, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 19 Dec 2002.
- Hayne E. Leland, 1998.
"Agency Costs, Risk Management, and Capital Structure,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 53(4), pages 1213-1243, 08.
- Hayne E. Leland., 1998. "Agency Costs, Risk Management, and Capital Structure," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-278, University of California at Berkeley.
- Goldstein, Robert & Ju, Nengjiu & Leland, Hayne, 2001. "An EBIT-Based Model of Dynamic Capital Structure," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74(4), pages 483-512, October.
- Weiss, Lawrence A., 1990. "Bankruptcy resolution: Direct costs and violation of priority of claims," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 285-314, October.
- Pierre Mella-Barral & William R M Perraudin, 1993.
"Strategic Debt Service,"
CEPR Financial Markets Paper
0039, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Hayne Leland., 1994. "Bond Prices, Yield Spreads, and Optimal Capital Structure with Default Risk," Research Program in Finance Working Papers RPF-240, University of California at Berkeley.
- Franks, Julian R & Torous, Walter N, 1989. " An Empirical Investigation of U.S. Firms in Reorganization," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(3), pages 747-69, July.
- Toft, Klaus Bjerre & Prucyk, Brian, 1997. " Options on Leveraged Equity: Theory and Empirical Tests," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(3), pages 1151-80, July.
- Geske, Robert, 1979. "The valuation of compound options," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 63-81, March.
- Fan, Hua & Sundaresan, Suresh M, 2000. "Debt Valuation, Renegotiation, and Optimal Dividend Policy," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(4), pages 1057-99.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:yor:yorken:03/19. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Hodgson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.