Short Term and Long Term Effects of Price Cap Regulation
This paper uses a very simple example (two goods, linear symmetric demand and cost) to study the effects of the price cap regulatory mechanism. We show that if a given price vector is preferred (using current welfare as the criterion) to another, then it is not necessarily the case that it is also preferred in the long run (using the presented discounted value of welfare as the criterion). The relationship between current welfare and profit and therefore the firm's incentive to bargain for a given price vector depend on the specific details of the mechanism considered.
|Date of creation:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, United Kingdom|
Phone: (0)1904 323776
Web page: https://www.york.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I & Sappington, David E M, 1999.
"Setting the X Factor in Price-Cap Regulation Plans,"
Journal of Regulatory Economics,
Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 5-25, July.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & David E. M. Sappington, 1998. "Setting the X Factor in Price Cap Regulation Plans," NBER Working Papers 6622, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baumol, William J & Bradford, David F, 1970. "Optimal Departures from Marginal Cost Pricing," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 265-283, June.
- M.E. Beesley & S.C. Littlechild, 1989. "The Regulation of Privatized Monopolies in the United Kingdom," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 20(3), pages 454-472, Autumn.
- Brennan, Timothy J, 1989. "Regulating by Capping Prices," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 133-147, June.
- Cowan, Simon G B, 1997. "Tight Average Revenue Regulation Can Be Worse Than No Regulation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 45(1), pages 75-88, March.
- Vickers, John, 1997. "Regulation, Competition, and the Structure of Prices," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 13(1), pages 15-26, Spring. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)