Performance Management and Performance Measurement in the Education Sector
The paper examines several outstanding issues on the interface between the measurement of performance in primary and secondary education and the management of improved performance in this nationally important sector. These issues relate to the clarification of the objectives of the education system, the impact of performance reward systems, such as Performance Related Pay, t he role of resources in influencing educational outcomes, the reliability of existing methods of assessing educational performance, such as Data Envelopment Analysis and multivariate regression, and the need for an improved national comparative database if progress is to be made in several of these directions.
|Date of creation:|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, United Kingdom|
Phone: (0)1904 323776
Fax: (0)1904 323759
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Mayston, . "The Demand for Education and the Production of Local Public Goods," Discussion Papers 00/50, Department of Economics, University of York.
- David Mayston, . "Educational Attainment and Resource Use: Mystery or Econometric Misspecification," Discussion Papers 96/17, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1995.
"Interpreting Recent Research on Schooling in Developing Countries,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 10(2), pages 227-46, August.
- Eric A. Hanushek, . "Interpreting Recent Research on Schooling in Developing Countries," Wallis Working Papers WP3, University of Rochester - Wallis Institute of Political Economy.
- Hanushek, Eric A, 1986. "The Economics of Schooling: Production and Efficiency in Public Schools," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 24(3), pages 1141-77, September.
- Andrew Worthington, 2001. "An Empirical Survey of Frontier Efficiency Measurement Techniques in Education," Education Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 245-268.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:yor:yorken:00/40. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Hodgson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.