Testing Gibrat's Law for European Multinational Enterprises
This paper investigates the link between firm size and growth for European multinational enterprises based on the AMADEUS firm-level database. Using data for about 20,000 firms for the period 2000 2004, we find that firm size has a significant negative impact on firm growth of the multinational enterprises. This holds when growth and its level are measured in terms of employment or turnover. Estimates for seven broad industry groups reveal that the negative relationship can be observed in all industries with higher effects in business services and in the investment goods industry. Furthermore we find that the average year of foundation of the foreign affiliates has a positive impact on the growth of the parent companies.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| |
|Order Information:|| Postal: FIW Project Office Austrian Institute of Economic Research Arsenal Objekt 20 A-1030 Vienna|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D.B. Audretsch & L. Klomp & E. Santarelli & A.R. Thurik, 2004.
"Gibrat's Law: Are the Services Different?,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 301-324, 05.
- Audretsch, D.B. & Klomp, L. & Thurik, A.R., 2002. "Gibrat's Law: are the services different?," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2002-04-STR, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Roy Thurik & Enrico Santarelli & David Audretsch & Luuk Klomp, 2002. "Gibrat's Law: Are the Services Different?," Scales Research Reports H200201, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Harald Oberhofer & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2013.
"Firm growth in multinational corporate groups,"
Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 1435-1453, June.
- Oberhofer, Harald & Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2010. "Firm Growth in Multinational Corporate Groups," Working Papers in Economics 2010-7, University of Salzburg.
- Harald Oberhofer & Michael Pfaffermayr, . "Firm Growth in Multinational Corporate Groups," Working Papers 2008-10, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Francesca Lotti & Enrico Santarelli & Marco Vivarelli, 2003. "Does Gibrat's Law hold among young, small firms?," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 13(3), pages 213-235, August.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Angelo Secchi, 2003.
"Common Properties and Sectoral Specificities in the Dynamics of U.S. Manufacturing Companies,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 23(3_4), pages 217-232, December.
- Giulio Bottazzi & Angelo Secchi, 2003. "Common Properties and Sectoral Specificities in the Dynamics of U.S. Manufacturing Companies," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 23(3), pages 217-232, December.
- Jozef Konings & Alan Patrick Murphy, 2003. "Do Multinational Enterprises Relocate Employment to Low Wage Regions? Evidence from European Multinationals," LICOS Discussion Papers 13103, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- L. Cuyvers & M. Dumont & G. Rayp & K. Stevens, 2002.
"Home Employment Effects of EU Firms' Activities in Central and Eastern European Countries,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
02/158, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Ludo Cuyvers & Michel Dumont & Glenn Rayp & Katrien Stevens, 2005. "Home Employment Effects of EU Firms’ Activities in Central and Eastern European Countries," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 153-174, April.
- Paul Geroski & Klaus Gugler, 2004.
"Corporate growth convergence in Europe,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 56(4), pages 597-620, October.
- Geroski, Paul A, 1999. "The Growth of Firms in Theory and in Practice," CEPR Discussion Papers 2092, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wsr:ecbook:2008:i:i-014. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.