Monetary Shocks and Real Farm Prices: A Re-Examination
The effect of monetary policy on the farm sector remains controversial. Studies attempting to quantify the effects of monetary disturbances on real farm prices report conflicting results: some find that positive monetary shocks increase real farm prices in the short run, while others detect no such effect. We offer a resolution of these conflicting findings by re-estimating existing models on a common data set. When sample periods corresponding to the original studies are used, the conflicting results are confirmed. In contrast, when samples are updated through 1993, all models supply the same result: monetary shocks do not afffect real farm prices.
|Date of creation:||07 Feb 1996|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - Word Perfect 6.1; prepared on IBM PC; to print on HP Laserjet; pages: 28; figures: included. none|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://126.96.36.199 |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stamoulis, Kostas G. & Rausser, Gordon C., 1987.
"Overshooting of agricultural prices,"
Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series
qt83060269, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- David E. Runkle, 1987. "Vector autoregressions and reality," Staff Report 107, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Runkle, David E, 1987. "Vector Autoregressions and Reality," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(4), pages 437-42, October.
- Barro, Robert J., 1976. "Rational expectations and the role of monetary policy," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 1-32, January.
- Pagan, Adrian, 1984. "Econometric Issues in the Analysis of Regressions with Generated Regressors," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 25(1), pages 221-47, February.
- Dornbusch, Rudiger, 1976. "Expectations and Exchange Rate Dynamics," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 84(6), pages 1161-76, December.
- Michael T. Belongia, 1991. "Monetary policy and the farm/nonfarm price ratio: a comparison of effects," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jul, pages 30-46.
- Devadoss, Stephen & Meyers, William H., 1987. "Relative Prices and Money: Further Results for the United States," Staff General Research Papers 10856, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpot:9602001. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.