The impact of coordination and information on transport procurement
Transport cost is second in importance after production cost in industry. It is the purpose of the present paper to study the impact of information sharing and contractual instruments between a supply chain and its transport suppliers. After reviewing the literature, we propose a model to measure the benefits in terms of transport cost and standard deviation of transport cost. We evaluate three scenarios over one period reiterated for a shipper carrier two-echelon model with a mix of long- term and short-term procurement strategies: perfect information, asymmetric information and private information at one level of the supply chain. We evaluate the transfer in rent between carrier and shipper according to the information known and give some insights on optimal contract parameters.
|Date of creation:||21 Apr 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||Type of Document - pdf; pages: 30. Prepared from Word, figures included, formulas by MathType|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://22.214.171.124 |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andy A. Tsay, 1999. "The Quantity Flexibility Contract and Supplier-Customer Incentives," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(10), pages 1339-1358, October.
- Wu, D. J. & Kleindorfer, P. R. & Zhang, Jin E., 2002. "Optimal bidding and contracting strategies for capital-intensive goods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(3), pages 657-676, March.
- Bar-Shira, Ziv & Finkelshtain, Israel, 1999. "Two-moments decision models and utility-representable preferences," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 237-244, February.
- Meyer, Jack, 1987. "Two-moment Decision Models and Expected Utility Maximization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(3), pages 421-30, June.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Paul H. Zipkin, 1999. "Competitive and Cooperative Inventory Policies in a Two-Stage Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 936-953, July.
- A. A. Tsay & W. S. Lovejoy, 1999. "Quantity Flexibility Contracts and Supply Chain Performance," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 1(2), pages 89-111.
- Grieger, Martin, 2003. "Electronic marketplaces: A literature review and a call for supply chain management research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 144(2), pages 280-294, January.
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2002. "The Theory of the Firm as Governance Structure: From Choice to Contract," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 171-195, Summer.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpmi:0504007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.