Value of Information in Capacitated Supply Chains
We incorporate information flow between a supplier and a retailer in a two-echelon model that captures the capacitated setting of a typical supply chain. We consider three situations: (1) a traditional model where there is no information to the supplier prior to a demand to him except for past data; (2) the supplier knows the (s, S) policy used by the retailer as well as the end-item demand distribution; and (3) the supplier has full information about the state of the retailer. Order up-to policies continue to be optimal for models with information flow for the finite horizon, the infinite horizon discounted and the infinite horizon average cost cases. Study of these three models enables us to understand the relationships between capacity, inventory, and information at the supplier level, as well as how they are affected by the retailer's (S - s) values and end-item demand distribution. We estimate the savings at the supplier due to information flow and study when information is most beneficial.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Glasserman & Sridhar Tayur, 1995. "Sensitivity Analysis for Base-Stock Levels in Multiechelon Production-Inventory Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(2), pages 263-281, February.
- Rema Hariharan & Paul Zipkin, 1995. "Customer-Order Information, Leadtimes, and Inventories," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(10), pages 1599-1607, October.
- Katy S. Azoury, 1985. "Bayes Solution to Dynamic Inventory Models Under Unknown Demand Distribution," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(9), pages 1150-1160, September.
- Paul H. Zipkin, 1995. "Performance Analysis of a Multi-Item Production-Inventory System Under Alternative Policies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(4), pages 690-703, April.
- William S. Lovejoy, 1990. "Myopic Policies for Some Inventory Models with Uncertain Demand Distributions," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(6), pages 724-738, June.
- Donald L. Iglehart, 1964. "The Dynamic Inventory Problem with Unknown Demand Distribution," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 429-440, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:45:y:1999:i:1:p:16-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.