A test of Integration between Emerging and Developed Nation’s Stock Markets
This paper makes an attempt to examine the financial integration between emerging countries and developed countries. Stock market data for six countries USA, CANADA, UK, India, Malaysia and Singapore have been used for the purpose of the study. Cointegration was tested on the basis of various alternative techniques. Results contradict existing literatures and suggest that although developments at international level significantly influence national stock markets, but they are driven mainly by the developments at domestic level. Study also indicates that world equity market is segmented; where developed nations and emerging markets have made separate grouping. In case of India we find that it is positively correlated with all the markets, but this relationship is not highly positive.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P N Smith & S Sorensen & M R Wickens, . "An Asset Market Integration Test Based on Observable Macroeconomic Stochastic Discount Factors," Discussion Papers 03/14, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Corhay, A. & Tourani Rad, A. & Urbain, J. -P., 1993. "Common stochastic trends in European stock markets," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 42(4), pages 385-390.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Mishkin, Frederic S, 1984.
" Are Real Interest Rates Equal across Countries? An Empirical Investigation of International Parity Conditions,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1345-57, December.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1982. "Are Real Interest Rates Equal Across Countries? An Empirical Investigation of International Parity Conditions," NBER Working Papers 1048, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gonzalo, Jesus, 1994. "Five alternative methods of estimating long-run equilibrium relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 203-233.
- Chung, Pin J. & Liu, Donald J., 1994. "Common stochastic trends in pacific rim stock markets," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 241-259.
- Phylaktis, Kate, 1999. "Capital market integration in the Pacific Basin region: an impulse response analysis," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 267-287, February.
- Sutherland, Alan, 1996. " Financial Market Integration and Macroeconomic Volatility," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 98(4), pages 521-39, December.
- Scheicher, Martin, 2001. "The Comovements of Stock Markets in Hungary, Poland and the Czech Republic," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(1), pages 27-39, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpif:0506004. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.