HABIT FORMATION IN CONSUMPTION: A Case Study of Rural India
Dependence of present consumption over the past levels’ was first proposed by Polak (1970). Since then many extensive studies have been done to test the presence of habit-forming effects in food and non-food commodities in the context of many different countries. But no such formal analysis has been done with Indian data. This paper examines the habit-forming effects in the context of rural India – considering rural parts of 4 Indian States Punjab, Gujarat, West Bengal and Tamil Nadu. The demand system used is the flexible AIDS model incorporating demography. It is found that habit effects are significant for all states considered.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kapteyn, A.J. & van de Geer, S. & van de Stadt, H. & Wansbeek, T.J., 1984.
"Interdependent preferences : An econometric analysis,"
FEW 140, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Kapteyn, Arie, et al, 1997. "Interdependent Preferences: An Econometric Analysis," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 665-86, Nov.-Dec..
- Kapteyn, A. & Van De Ger, S. & Van De Stadt, H. & Wansbeek, T., 1989. "Interdependent Preferences: An Econometric Analysis," Papers 8954, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Kapteyn, A. & van der Geer, S. & van de Stadt, H. & Wansbeek, T., 1997. "Interdependent preferences : An econometric analysis," Other publications TiSEM cd68dbcd-ca9b-45bf-9ae2-b, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Kapteyn, A.J. & van der Geer, S. & van de Stadt, H. & Wansbeek, T.J., 1989. "Interdependent preferences : An econometric analysis," Discussion Paper 1989-54, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Meenakshi, J.V. & Ray, R., 1996.
"Regional Differences in India's Food Expenditure Pattern: A Complete Demand Systems Approach,"
1996-06, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
- J. V. Meenakshi & Ranjan Ray, 1999. "Regional differences in India's food expenditure pattern: a complete demand systems approach," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(1), pages 47-74.
- Pollak, Robert A, 1970. "Habit Formation and Dynamic Demand Functions," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(4), pages 745-63, Part I Ju.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpem:0412012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.