Pricing the Risk of Recovery in Default with APR Violation
This paper proposes a simple approach to infer the risk neutral density of recovery rates implied by the prices of the debt securities of a firm. The proposed approach is independent of modeling default arrival rates and allows for the violation of absolute priority rule (APR). The paper demonstrates that a new statistic, the adjusted relative spread, captures risk neutralrecovery information in debt prices. Interest rates and firm tangible assets are shown to be significant determinants of the price of recovery. An application illustrates the pricing of credit derivatives written on the realized recovery rate.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2001|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 3301 Steinberg Hall-Dietrich Hall, 3620 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104.6367|
Web page: http://fic.wharton.upenn.edu/fic/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Fischer & Cox, John C, 1976. "Valuing Corporate Securities: Some Effects of Bond Indenture Provisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 351-367, May.
- Madan, Dilip & Unal, Haluk, 2000.
"A Two-Factor Hazard Rate Model for Pricing Risky Debt and the Term Structure of Credit Spreads,"
Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(01), pages 43-65, March.
- Dilip Madan & Haluk Unal, 1999. "A Two-Factor Hazard-Rate Model for Pricing Risky Debt and the Term Structure of Credit Spreads," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 99-32, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Eberhart, Allan C & Moore, William T & Roenfeldt, Rodney L, 1990. " Security Pricing and Deviations from the Absolute Priority Rule in Bankruptcy Proceedings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(5), pages 1457-1469, December.
- Franks, Julian R. & Torous, Walter N., 1994. "A comparison of financial recontracting in distressed exchanges and chapter 11 reorganizations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 349-370, June.
- Eberhart, Allan C & Sweeney, Richard J, 1992. " Does the Bond Market Predict Bankruptcy Settlements?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 943-980, July.
- Stulz, ReneM. & Johnson, Herb, 1985. "An analysis of secured debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 501-521, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wop:pennin:02-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.