The role of partnerships in regional and urban development at the turn of the century
The term "partnership" is increasingly used in regionaldevelopmentalthough the practice of partnership in urban economic policy,if not theterminology, is common and has a long history. Currentlypartnershipsreceive widespread support from practitioners as they are seenas allowingeach partner to gain the benefits from co-operation, whilestill retainingtheir autonomy. However, the theoretical basis of these viewsis poorlydeveloped. This paper seeks to present an exploration of thetheoreticalbasis of regional and urban development partnerships and todraw resultinglessons for their improvement. From an analytical perspective,can beargued that in order to fully understand the behaviour andpolicies oforganisations involved in local economic development, it isnecessary toconsider their partnerships and the associated relationshipswith networksof other actors, including the flows of resources, power, andinformationwithin these networks.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert H. Frank & Thomas Gilovich & Dennis T. Regan, 1993. "Does Studying Economics Inhibit Cooperation?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(2), pages 159-171, Spring.
- Ronald W. McQuaid, 1993. "Economic development and local authorities: The Scottish case," Local Economy, London South Bank University, vol. 8(2), pages 100-116, August.
- James Meade., "undated". "Agathotopia," Hume Papers 16, David Hume Institute.
- Dr Ronald W. McQuaid, 1994. "Partnerships And Urban Economic Development," Working Paper p13, Departement of Economics, Napier University.
- Wintrobe, Ronald, 1981. "It pays to do good, but not to do more good than it pays : A note on the survival of altruism," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 201-213, September.
- McQuaid, Ronald W., 2002. "Entrepreneurship and regional development policies," ERSA conference papers ersa02p187, European Regional Science Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa98p121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.