The role of partnerships in regional and urban development at the turn of the century
The term "partnership" is increasingly used in regionaldevelopmentalthough the practice of partnership in urban economic policy,if not theterminology, is common and has a long history. Currentlypartnershipsreceive widespread support from practitioners as they are seenas allowingeach partner to gain the benefits from co-operation, whilestill retainingtheir autonomy. However, the theoretical basis of these viewsis poorlydeveloped. This paper seeks to present an exploration of thetheoreticalbasis of regional and urban development partnerships and todraw resultinglessons for their improvement. From an analytical perspective,can beargued that in order to fully understand the behaviour andpolicies oforganisations involved in local economic development, it isnecessary toconsider their partnerships and the associated relationshipswith networksof other actors, including the flows of resources, power, andinformationwithin these networks.
|Date of creation:||Aug 1998|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria|
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Meade., . "Agathotopia," Hume Papers 16, David Hume Institute.
- Robert H. Frank & Thomas Gilovich & Dennis T. Regan, 1993. "Does Studying Economics Inhibit Cooperation?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(2), pages 159-171, Spring.
- Dr Ronald W. McQuaid, 1994. "Partnerships And Urban Economic Development," Working Paper p13, Departement of Economics, Napier University.
- McQuaid, Ronald W., 2002. "Entrepreneurship and regional development policies," ERSA conference papers ersa02p187, European Regional Science Association.
- Ronald W. McQuaid, 1993. "Economic development and local authorities: The Scottish case," Local Economy, London South Bank University, vol. 8(2), pages 100-116, August.
- Wintrobe, Ronald, 1981. "It pays to do good, but not to do more good than it pays : A note on the survival of altruism," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 201-213, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa98p121. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.