Spatial complexity and interactions in regions? FDI attractiveness
This study investigates the factors that drive the distribution of foreign direct investments (FDI) into European regions, trying to disentangle the spatial complexity of this economic relationship. In particular, we argue that regions' capacity to attract FDI is affected by own-country effects, which can take two different forms: the first relates to the relative performance of the country a region belongs to in Europe (between country effect) while the second concerns the relative performance of regions' within their own countries (within country effect). We find that own country effects exist, though the within country effect is weaker than the between country effect. The absolute performance of countries is able to affect that of their own regions along many axes, on top of region?s absolute performance. When modelling spatial interactions and spillovers, it also emerges a clear pattern of territorial competition among regions in attracting FDI.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Badi H. Baltagi & Peter Egger & Michael Pfaffermayr, 2005.
"Estimating Models of Complex FDI: Are There Third-Country Effects?,"
Center for Policy Research Working Papers
73, Center for Policy Research, Maxwell School, Syracuse University.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Egger, Peter & Pfaffermayr, Michael, 2007. "Estimating models of complex FDI: Are there third-country effects?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 260-281, September.
- Holger Görg & David Greenaway, 2004.
"Much Ado about Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 171-197.
- Görg, Holger & Greenaway, David, 2003. "Much Ado About Nothing? Do Domestic Firms Really Benefit from Foreign Direct Investment?," IZA Discussion Papers 944, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Yeaple, Stephen Ross, 2003. "The complex integration strategies of multinationals and cross country dependencies in the structure of foreign direct investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 293-314, August.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(3), November.
- Eckhardt Bode & Peter Nunnenkamp & Andreas Waldkirch, 2012.
"Spatial effects of foreign direct investment in US states,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 45(1), pages 16-40, February.
- Eckhardt Bode & Peter Nunnenkamp & Andreas Waldkirch, 2009. "Spatial Effects of Foreign Direct Investment in US States," Kiel Working Papers 1535, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- J. Elhorst, 2010. "Applied Spatial Econometrics: Raising the Bar," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 9-28.
- Gorg, Holger & Strobl, Eric, 2001. "Multinational Companies and Productivity Spillovers: A Meta-analysis," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 111(475), pages F723-39, November.
- James R. Markusen, 1995. "The Boundaries of Multinational Enterprises and the Theory of International Trade," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(2), pages 169-189, Spring.
- Fazia Pusterla & Laura Resmini, 2005. "Where do foreign firms locate in transition Countries? An empirical investigation," ISLA Working Papers 20, ISLA, Centre for research on Latin American Studies and Transition Economies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Sep 2005.
- Richard Florida & Charlotta Mellander & Kevin Stolarick, 2008.
"Inside the black box of regional development: human capital, the creative class and tolerance,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 8(5), pages 615-649, September.
- Florida, Richard & Mellander, Charlotta & Stolarick, Kevin, 2007. "Inside the Black Box of Regional Development - human capital, the creative class and tolerance," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 88, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Roberto Basile & Luigi Benfratello & Davide Castellani, 2005. "Attracting Foreign Investments in Europe - are Italian Regions Doomed?," ERSA conference papers ersa05p148, European Regional Science Association.
- Harry Garretsen & Jolanda Peeters, 2009. "FDI and the relevance of spatial linkages: do third-country effects matter for Dutch FDI?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 145(2), pages 319-338, July.
- Gustavo J. Bobonis & Howard J. Shatz, 2007. "Agglomeration, Adjustment, and State Policies in the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(1), pages 30-43, February.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Forslid, Rikard, 2001.
" Trade and Location with Horizontal and Vertical Multi-region Firms,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(1), pages 101-18, March.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Forslid, Rikard, 1998. "Trade and Location with Horizontal and Vertical Multi-Region Firms," Working Paper Series 504, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood : Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 247-267, November.
- Andrew Mold, 2003. "The Impact of the Single Market Programme on the Locational Determinants of US Manufacturing Affiliates: An Econometric Analysis," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 37-62, 03.
- Romer, Paul, 1993. "Idea gaps and object gaps in economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 543-573, December.
- Hogenbirk Annelies & Narula Rajneesh, 2004. "Location and agglomeration of FDI in The Netherlands: implications for policy," Research Memorandum 006, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Karolina Ekholm & Rikard Forslid & James R. Markusen, 2007.
"Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 5(4), pages 776-795, 06.
- Karolina Ekholm & Rikard Forslid & James Markusen, 2003. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," NBER Working Papers 9517, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jim Markusen & Caroline Ekholm, Rikard Forslid, 2005. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp050, IIIS.
- Ekholm, Karolina & Forslid, Rikard & Markusen, James R., 2003. "Export-Platform Foreign Direct Investment," CEPR Discussion Papers 3823, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Barrell, Ray & Pain, Nigel, 1999. "Domestic institutions, agglomerations and foreign direct investment in Europe," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 925-934, April.
- Bruce A. Blonigen, 2005.
"A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants,"
NBER Working Papers
11299, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruce Blonigen, 2005. "A Review of the Empirical Literature on FDI Determinants," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 33(4), pages 383-403, December.
- BÃ¶rje Johansson & Johan Klaesson, 2011. "Creative Milieus in the Stockholm Region," Chapters, in: Handbook of Creative Cities, chapter 23 Edward Elgar.
- Bruce A. Blonigen & Ronald B. Davies & Glen R. Waddell & Helen T. Naughton, 2004.
"FDI in Space: Spatial Autoregressive Relationships in Foreign Direct Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
10939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blonigen, Bruce A. & Davies, Ronald B. & Waddell, Glen R. & Naughton, Helen T., 2007. "FDI in space: Spatial autoregressive relationships in foreign direct investment," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 51(5), pages 1303-1325, July.
- Johansson, Börje & Klaesson, Johan, 2010. "Creative Milieus In The Stockholm Region," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 234, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Svetlana Ledyaeva, 2009. "Spatial Econometric Analysis of Foreign Direct Investment Determinants in Russian Regions," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 32(4), pages 643-666, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wiw:wiwrsa:ersa13p1063. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.